Narrowband

Jellyfish nebula with OSC camera

StaceStar

I get a bit of a kick out of dragging as much out of minimal data as possible :)

Took this last night, packed up early though as it was getting icy and treacherous. I think by the time I packed away it was -5c.

Anyway this one actually came out better than i expected and i'm pretty pleased so far :)

55x120s stacked and processed primarily in APP and final touch up in Photoshop. Also used my L pro max filter for this, which no doubt helped.

jellyfish nebula.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Its a beautiful image done with a OSC - may I ask what camera and telescope please? Also not an easy object to image.

Of course :) thanks for the great feedback also. 

I use an Altair 72edf deluxe scope with lightwave 0.8x reducer and Altair hypercam 183c Pro Tec (gain 400, -15c, black level 30)

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Really nice,  maybe it’s just me but I think the focus is just a tad off....  just constructive criticism :)

Thank you . Nope focus was smack bang on as I regularly checked my focus :) I do believe the issue here is with my processing. Probably something to do with the fact I did it at 3am . I never learn ??

2 minutes ago, StaceStar said:

I think I may have used dust and scratches a bit too much and also had the opacity on that layer too high...so it became more fuzzy. 

Yes that could be it, if you zoom in it’s very fuzzy and noisy...but very good all the same.. :)

The composition of this image is superb - the use of the surrounding stars to frame and accentuate the Jellyfish has been a big success!

The colour combination of the stars and nebulosity works exceptionally well.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this jellyfish back in the pond now! had enough for this season, but its been a useful learning tool!

IC443 - The jellyfish nebula. A Supernova remnant in the constellation of Gemini.

143x120s. Altair Astro 72EDF Deluxe, 0.8x reducer, Hypercam 183c Pro Tec, HEQ5 pro.

Stacked and processed in Astro Pixel Processor, with some hefty processing in Photoshop too.

This one has been a pita to me ...I so wanted to call it finished but couldn't leave it alone. Finally happy with this version now! 

received_743089232729178.png

1 hour ago, StaceStar said:

Putting this jellyfish back in the pond now! had enough for this season, but its been a useful learning tool!

IC443 - The jellyfish nebula. A Supernova remnant in the constellation of Gemini.

143x120s. Altair Astro 72EDF Deluxe, 0.8x reducer, Hypercam 183c Pro Tec, HEQ5 pro.

Stacked and processed in Astro Pixel Processor, with some hefty processing in Photoshop too.

This one has been a pita to me ...I so wanted to call it finished but couldn't leave it alone. Finally happy with this version now! 

Very nice, the version above seems to have more detail and nebulosity showing, yet I assume this is more subs..any reason for that... :)

13 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Very nice, the version above seems to have more detail and nebulosity showing, yet I assume this is more subs..any reason for that... :)

Yep! Just to increase the SNR. More darks and flats didn't help the previous version ;)

This turned out really well ?

Great to see it evolve like this - we all go through that pain - you finish it and think "That's what I wanted it to look like"....then the next day you look at and have another try at other adjustments.

Like  you said excellent learning process, and you've wound up with a great picture for your gallery ?

David

32 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

But surely it should be at least the same detail wise, the nebulosity on the left has almost gone....or am I missing something...?

It's a different process, this time I focused on the jelly fish nebula itself and not the rest per se. I didn't want to 'overcook' it this time whereas in the previous version I felt I did to keep the area on the left. Everything is a balance...im quite happy with my latest and final version

9 minutes ago, David_L said:

This turned out really well ?

Great to see it evolve like this - we all go through that pain - you finish it and think "That's what I wanted it to look like"....then the next day you look at and have another try at other adjustments.

Like  you said excellent learning process, and you've wound up with a great picture for your gallery ?

David

Thanks so much David . This was a challenging target for me as really I am still a beginner compared to some folks on here :) for example, it was only on my latest session on the jelly fish (14th Feb) that I carried out a meridian flip for the first time :)

4 hours ago, StaceStar said:

This is a massive improvement on your original processing and a nice image on a dim target from a light polluted area.

I keep wondering if ill see you post a image using the Ha filter I sold you. Blending some Ha in with the red channel of this image would work really well.

Adam

27 minutes ago, Adam J said:

This is a massive improvement on your original processing and a nice image on a dim target from a light polluted area.

I keep wondering if ill see you post a image using the Ha filter I sold you. Blending some Ha in with the red channel of this image would work really well.

Adam

That's the plan eventually ! :) I found focusing manually with the Ha filter difficult....so I've got a Sesto senso for my birthday (in less than a month) then I hope I'll be able to focus easier and make use of those filters! Cant wait. Thanks for the good feedback also :)

Archived