NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The wake of the Sisters.

ollypenrice

A bit of fun, really. We shot some M45 in the TEC over the last couple of nights and this needs  more blue. However, I scraped together everything I have in the way of M45 in the hope of really showing the wake created by the moving cluster as it ploughs through interstellar gas and dust. I think this is now showing on the right of the image.

Olly

M45%20COMPOSITE3%20FL-L.jpg

Olly

Is this movement through the gas, likely to create more star formation in this region at some point in the future?

I don't think so. There is (at least to my knowledge) no sign of any residual hydrogen from the parental HII region so all that we see is reflection, including the dust. The cluster, far from its natal molecular cloud, just happens to be cruising through a dusty region and lighting it up.

That's a beauty ...  :laugh:

I've always been intrigued by the 'straight' streaks in the nebulosity in M45 , what caused this when everything else is the usual swirls of gas and dust .... ?

I don't know. The cluster is clearly three dimensional and the 'wakes' are, by definition, local to their own stars, so are we seeing rotation of the cluster through the interstellar dust? Considered three dimensionally there is no reason for all the wakes to align. Thinkof the cluster as a spinning ball...  Just my guesswork.

Olly

Hi Olly cracking shot! What exposures did you use its very deep, no doubt partly from your dark sky :-)?

All sorts in a completely chaotic mix over several years. More than 20 hours. I think that if you want to go deep like this in less time you'll need longer subs (half hour) and a dark site. Longest subs here were 15 minutes but I'm learning.

Olly

So much going on in that image, i cant actually make out the seven sisters in it.

Spectacular image non the less.

Can i buy a print of it like i did the Rosette that you and Tom did?

It was Tom?..............i'm useless with names.

Hi Paul,

Tom does the prints and, at this stage, this image isn't big enough in terms of pixels to do a good print, I don't think. This is a bit of a test image to see how deep I can go. When Tom offers prints for sale it's because he has about ten times the data that is really necessary! He does offer a wider field print of M45 surrounded by dust, though.  It's darned good.

Olly

Hi Paul,

Tom does the prints and, at this stage, this image isn't big enough in terms of pixels to do a good print, I don't think. This is a bit of a test image to see how deep I can go. When Tom offers prints for sale it's because he has about ten times the data that is really necessary! He does offer a wider field print of M45 surrounded by dust, though.  It's darned good.

Olly

I'll check out his website once again. I do love his work. People who come into my house always comment on the image of the Rosette the you and Tom did from your place in France. 

I'll check out his website once again. I do love his work. People who come into my house always comment on the image of the Rosette the you and Tom did from your place in France. 

Hi Paul,

Yes I have prints of M45 available. I did a 30x20 widefield version, and from that I cropped out 2 square versions, 15x15, and 10x10. I recently decided to make a 18x12 version from all of the 30x20 images. They look fantastic.  Mail me offline for more details.

Tom

Archived