Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Large format image.

ollypenrice

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely brilliant Olly and I like the fact that you seem to get very good sharpness without over doing it. A joy to look at!

Thanks. This is an important call and ends up a matter of judgement. If it looks processed I don't do it. At least that's the house rule, but I may well get it wrong.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen the article in January's AN. Very interesting - I look forward to having a go myself, though it feels as though I may never see the night sky again with the filthy weather we have in Southern England at the moment!

One question - the article says 10s, 50s & 600s subs, but the caption with the three pics states 300s subs.... Which is correct?!

Just seen the article in January's AN. Very interesting - I look forward to having a go myself, though it feels as though I may never see the night sky again with the filthy weather we have in Southern England at the moment!

One question - the article says 10s, 50s & 600s subs, but the caption with the three pics states 300s subs.... Which is correct?!

Ouch, I didn't spot this,. The long subs were 600. Sorry about that.

Olly

Good stuff, thank you for clearing that up!

On second thoughts I know what's happened. The set of three adjacent images I used to show the layer masking principle are not from the same set as the main image. I just used them to show what the three sub lengths will give. The longest ones are 5 mins on that set, which are RGB only.

Olly

Thanks for the kind comments, all. I do now see that the blue balance was out and will work on it. Stéphane Guisard's image http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202691-m42-from-atacama-desert/ from the Atacama (don't miss this one) has fired me with enthusiasm to take my image to the next level with far more long exposures in all filters to find the background detail. WIth the rain and the moon it won't be tonight!

Olly

I'd give yours a 10/10, but you're missing the ever important amp-glow in the top left corner. I would've thought you should have known better!

Sure, yours may have the running man, but mine has the "hiding man". You have a lot to learn about AP, dear sir!

I'd give yours a 10/10, but you're missing the ever important amp-glow in the top left corner. I would've thought you should have known better!

Sure, yours may have the running man, but mine has the "hiding man". You have a lot to learn about AP, dear sir!

You're right. I must stop taking flats!

:p lly

Hehe..

I've just been looking at your Les Granges site for the first time. Wow, what a life you are living!

I can definitely see myself visiting (with my much better half, if I can get her somewhat interested in astronomy) at some stage!

Archived