Hi from Sussex, UK

stooby

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I've been lurking in the forums for a little while, reading other people's questions and answers. I thought it was about time to say 'hello'.

If expertise was measured purely on the time you do something, I would claim to be something of an expert, having looked up at the night sky for over 40 years. Sadly I've never really known much about what I was looking at, so am more of a beginner at all this star gazing thing.

After attending a talk by the Ashford Astromical Society recently, with my wife, we both agreed we wanted to know more. After a bit of searching and reading around the net, I've ended up here.

My first question is going up in the beginners section shortly...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And welcome from me. So if you're in Sussex what are you doing going to a society in Kent? there are some in Sussex you know! :)

That's a fair question :smiley:

I have another geeky hobby, Geocaching. Every month, some geocachers in each county meet up and exchange nerdy geocaching stories. We live almost on border with Kent and Sussex so can pick and choose which ones we go to. There were astronomical related meetings recently as an astronaut has just taken a geocache 'travel bug' to the ISS. The meeting in Kent was closer to us than the one in Sussex, and the one in Kent also included this talk from the guys from Ashford. If the skies were clear, they would have had their scopes set up too, but alas it was raining.

So, yes, Sussex would have been a more logical place to begin, but for the above reasons, we began in Kent :smiley:

Archived