Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Naked eye sunspot - STILL NEED A SOLAR FILTER TO VIEW

nytecam

I look at the sun most morning if clear via my PST and noted this morning how large and circular sunspot near the east limb - a quick swap to naked eye, protected by my Baader solar filter, and the spot was easily visible ! haven't seem the like for awhile :police:  

Been having a look at this on and off throughout the day. There is an amazing amount of detail to be seen today, loads of smaller spots surrounding the main active regions.

The big spot is lovely, plenty of detail in there too!

Stu

And again this Tuesday morning @ 9.30AM as an easy naked eye spot just passed centre.  Surprisingly Spaceweather.com doesn't note this spot's naked eye visibility :huh:

My PST [through double glazing!] shows this dominant spot and many filaments on the disk plus many unremarkable limb proms in Ha :police:

Let's be super careful over terms like naked eye sunspot. It's in the thread title and there are casual browsers of SGL. Looking through film is not naked eye, it's unmagnified. I hope I'm not being a sanctimonious, just being careful.

Olly

Checked out the 'big spot' this morning in Ha via PST and it was near the west limb and much forshortened.  Don't think, due to proximity to limb, that it would be visible to correctly protected naked eye.   Will check tomorrow for proms in Ha, if clear, as the spot goes over the limb :police:

Hmmm, Olly I agree with safety concerns, the recent image of a hole burnt out of solar film is scary, but in terms of what "naked eye" means, Sky & Telescope refer to naked eye in the same sense:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/sun/3304286.html

"But while welder's glass provides satisfactory naked-eye views of the Sun, its poor optical quality makes it unsuitable for use with binoculars and telescopes."

A minor point I guess compared to keeping it safe.

I spotted the sunspot yesterday through eclipse glasses (my eldest joined in as well, ad was very pleased as he had missed it earlier in the week). I also had a look with the LS35, which confirmed the visual sighting. I wonder whether this massive spot will return in another half revolution of our star.

To be on the safe side I list below a statement I put on a leaflet that was produced for a National Trust star party

DON'T ever look at the Sun without proper eye protection
DON'T view the Sun through sunglasses of any type (single or multiple pairs) or filters made of black and white or colour photographic film, or any combination of photographic filters, crossed polarisers or gelatin filters, CDs, CD-ROMs, or smoked glass. These are NOT safe.
DO view the Sun ONLY through special filters made for safe solar viewing, e.g. aluminised mylar filters, or black polymer filters, identified as suitable for direct viewing of the Sun, bearing the CE mark AND a statement that it conforms to European Community Directive 89/686/EEC, or use welder's glass rated at no.14 or higher. Always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.
DO check filters thoroughly for any damage BEFORE use. DON'T use them if they are scuffed, scratched or there are pinholes in them
DON'T stare through the special filter for more than 3 minutes at a time. Intermittent use of the filter is the best way of viewing the Sun
If you use eclipse glasses DON'T ever use them to look at the Sun through any optical instrument, e.g. telescope, binoculars or camera. Such devices concentrate the Sun's harmful radiation and will cause severe eye damage or permanent blindness in a fraction of a second.
If you are not certain that a filter is approved and safe, or you have any other doubts, DON'T USE IT.

I should state that a great deal of this information comes from advice from the British Astronomical Association.

All good stuff, but 'naked eye' has a self evident meaning. It may be used incorrectly, as in the S and T piece quoted earlier, but if we take 'naked ' and 'eye' we get 'eye with nothing over it' as the only possible definition which would respect the idea that 'language is public.' My concern was that someone not used to astronomy might not realize that the term is used in a rather bizarre and patently incorrect way in astronomy, to mean 'unmagnified.' There is, let us agree, a difference between a naked man and an unmagnified man!!!

My point is that people flip through websites. 'Naked eye sunspot' and, whoof, off they go. Ouch!

Olly

Using the solarmax (!) I note the giant spot has now gone around the corner so to speak. Only a single small one today (observable between cloud A and rain shower B :sad: ) but lots of nice proms and filaments.

AndyG 

Archived