NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hi from north east

saker

hi folks from snow'y sunderland ! was looking around and decided to sign up i have receved a celestrone 102 SLT for xmas and am looking forward to viewing,

i have two lens with the scope one say 25 and th eother says 9 on the side as im a total newbie to this game can any one please tell me about the scope and do i need any other bits and pieces to make it work better ?

i ask as i have been on many telescope sites and there is thousands of add on's you can get,

also whats the viewing range of my scop i.e whats the best i am gonna view with it ?

thanks glen..........

Glen, Hi and welcome. I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help, I'm a newbie myself and haven't had much of an opportunity to use the scope that I got for Christmas either. I'm sure that there'll be someone along soon who can give you some ideas.

Hi, welcome to SGL. Your eyepieces will give magnifications of x26 and x72. Your aperture (width of the lens at the front of the scope) is about 100 mil so working on the fact that your maximum effective magnification is around twice the width of the lens then the max mag you should be aiming for on your scope is around x200. To work out what magnification your eyepieces give you, first of all find the focal length of your scope, which in your case is 660 mil, and divide the 'number' on the side of the eyepiece into 660. So if you had an eyepiece with '5' on the side, which is what we would call a 5 mil eyepiece then it would magnify about 132 times. Hope this helps!

Hi Glen and Welcome to SGL

Get use to the eyepieces you have currently before you buy others. Starting with the 25mm lense to help get you used to your scope.

Other things you might find useful to pick up is a copy of `Turn left at orion`(Amazon) and a Planisphere.(Amazon or Waterstones) Also download Stellarium. You can download it free at www.stellarium.org. Its a great little program.

When looking for new lenses for your scope it all depends on what you want to view, whether it be the Planets or Deep Space Objects like Nebulas, Other Galaxies.

For the time being just get yourself accustomed to your scope.

Then when you are confident enough and want to buy add-ons then there are plenty of helpful people here to help guide you in the right direction.

Enjoy anyways, all we need now are clear skies.

Mark

Glen,

Not sure if this will be much help. Using Bino's and my scope I'm limited to wide field views, ie looking at star fields and such. My scope is too short to allow the magnification needed to see the planets (I think) from playing with <a href=http://www.scopesim.com/telescope-calculator.html?lid=banner-start>this</a>. With the Binoculars which are 12x Magnification, I have got very nice view of the Pleiades and been able to see some star clusters. (the hard part for me was finding them, but you've got goto I think, so that should be easier). <a href=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundred-Telescope/dp/0521781906/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199378389&sr=8-1>Turn Left at Orion</a> gives simple diagrams of what you might expect to see, but I'm not sure what that would be compared to exactly, so might be a little different on your scope.

Hello Glen welcome to the sgl forums

you will find this a very informative site an ideal place to receive all the best advice whilst you you are first comming to grips with your new setup I can see by looking at what you have model-wise you will very many good times viewing through it I would really get used to using it and exploring its potential before you go down the long road of accessories with lots extra eyepieces (lens)

I hope this helps you to start with plenty of time to move along with it as you get a few hours of viewing under your belt :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks from snow'y sunderland ! was looking around and decided to sign up i have receved a celestrone 102 SLT for xmas and am looking forward to viewing,

i have two lens with the scope one say 25 and th eother says 9 on the side as im a total newbie to this game can any one please tell me about the scope and do i need any other bits and pieces to make it work better ?

i ask as i have been on many telescope sites and there is thousands of add on's you can get,

also whats the viewing range of my scop i.e whats the best i am gonna view with it ?

thanks glen..........

Welcome Glen,

Im in Wardley, Gateshead, just up from heworth metro.

Got a Celestron 130EQ for xmas, have enjoyed many good nights viewing already, Mars, Saturn, the moon. Looking to expand my eyepiece kit as well. Drop me a PM anytime.

Col

Archived