Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best value for money.

Hi.

I have Eq6 pro, moded DSLR, guide scope... etc.

All I need is scope. Unfortunately I can't afford Takahashi Fsq so I've chosed another direction which is topic title.

Scope need to be portable as I don't have obs. What's your opinions.

Regards

Marek

I suspect you need to divulge a bit more about what targets you are interested in, whether you already have dew heaters and bands, what you budget is, whether you'd buy second hand....

Good luck with the project.

James

I'd suggest any of the popular imaging refractors around 90-130mm. Look at the Skywatcher ED range, of course and William Optics do some nice ones too. Altair also offer a good vfm 102 and 115mm. You'll get a nice portable fast triplet that delivers great quality pics from any of these ranges for under two grand. Otherwise you'd need to be more specific. Hth :)

Since you mention a Tak, I presume you're looking for a small refractor to go with the rest of your imaging gear.

The 80mm "ED" refractors are highly thought of. The only question then is, which one do you go for?

Save a fortune and go for a reflector.... Skywatcher 130 PDS with coma corrector. 130mm F5. Short and light. Many more photons than an 80mm refractor.

(I have a feeling that may stir up a hornet's nest though!)

Good suggestion 

I don't know much about imaging but as far as I am aware (unless imaging planets) you need to ignore aperture but concentrate on the size of the light cone matching as close as possible to your imaging chip, getting the focal length for the correct scale you desire and all in the fastest scope available (obviously with as high quality optics as you can afford).

quite how this fits with the scopes sugested I have no idea.

How about this: http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74803

Very nice for the price, leaves ample budget for extras (flatenner etc), and I'll bet they'd take an offer :)

Good suggestion :).

The ED80 (either) would be a good choice, I've not used either the ED80 or 130PDS for imaging (but have used the ED80 for visual), and the ED80 is very nice indeed. Difficult choice ;).

True a bit of collmination isnt a problem. But none at all is just one less thing to do or worry about.

I like the closed off at both ends you get with a refractor. Nothing new gets introduced unless you separate camera and scope. The whole setup just feels less venerable to spiders and damp.

Best all round scope for a beginner on a limited budget is the SW 200 Dob.  Period.  It is easy to use, has good aperture, is easy to look after and is very good value for money.

That said, it depends on what you want to do.  Asking what's the best type of scope is like asking what's the best type of car; it depends on your circumstances and what you want ot do with it.

But we are after value for money here.

A 130 PDS with a coma corrector is about £265... the ED80 is £350, slower at f7.5 against f4.5 and smaller aperture.... 80mm against 130mm (less a bit for secondary mirror), more than double the light gathering.... and only a few pounds heavier.

"Value for money" is a difficult term. The more tweaking and fiddling you have to do yourself - as a beginner - the higher the "price". The important thing is to reach results that trigger and encourage you to move on. I made the mistake of buying a 250P as my first real scope. Needless to say, astrophotography, which is what I was after, was not an easy task, in spite of it sitting on top of an NEQ6.

I have lived my entire life with technical products, I have developed electronics, hacked and programmed computers since the early seventies, and take modern V8s and W12s apart without blinking (actually, the W12 is a bit of a nightmare). I, with that background, say REFRACTOR.

The refractor is such a hassle-free "product" and simply does the job. Better to hang around here on the forum a while and save up for a few more months before pushing the button.

Anyway, these are MY opinions. I used to have a disclaimer at the bottom of all my e-mails. I had it there because I got tired of all the ridiculous disclaimers people have at the bottom of their e-mails. I include it here for your pleasure, and to make sure that you do not come after me with a club after buying a refractor - which, incidentally, I think you will love!

/per

Disclaimer:

Without prejudice. All models over 18 years of age. No animals were harmed during the production of this product. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent. Batteries not included. If condition persists, consult your physician. Slippery when wet. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. May be too intense for some viewers. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control centre immediately. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. Objects in rear-view mirror may be behind you. Driver does not carry cash. Other restrictions may apply. Local variations may make statements mean different things. Not to be used as a floatation device. Content may be hot. Viewer discretion advised.

Archived