Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

32mm skywatcher panaview eyepiece review

Paulhenry85

I love reading reviews and believe that you can't have to many, this is my first attempt so be easy on me.

I'm using this EP in a 8" skywatcher dobsonian.

You will need to use the supplied 2" adaptor that comes with the telescope as it won't work just putting straight in the focuser if using above scope, so if like me you "missed laid it " you'll need to order or find it.

The EP looks and feels great, full gloss black body and a nice rubber band around the center make handling it easy it weighs in at 443g With the rubber dust caps on. Long eye-relief for spectacle wearers, and soft twist-up rubber eyecups for comfortable viewing.

Once in the scope and focused, my first impression when looking through the EP was WOW, the wide 70° field of view is like an ocean for your eye ball to swim in, great sharpness in the center and only slightly less to the edge (basically it a HD eye piece, if that makes any sense). Because of its AFOV and focal length it makes finding DSO's easier and hence less time consuming, another win, win.

So if you have the same telescope or similar I would highly recommend for £79 this is a great EP that looks great and is reasonably priced.

post-32516-0-40032200-1383181748_thumb.jpost-32516-0-40032200-1383181748_thumb.jpost-32516-0-15605700-1383182530_thumb.jpost-32516-0-63863300-1383182550_thumb.jpost-32516-0-40033400-1383182575_thumb.jpost-32516-0-40032200-1383181748_thumb.j

• Like 2

I think Panaview are good eyepieces for the money. I have the 38mm Panaview which I use on my 180mm Mak/Cass to give me a mag of 71x - a FOV of 59 minutes and an exit pupil of 2.5. I don't use it on the 10" f4.7 Dob because the exit pupil is 8.

However, on your 8" scope the 32mm will give good mag, FOV and a reasonable exit pupil so your view that it is a good eyepiece for your 8" Dob is spot on.

Mark

• Like 1

thanks for that!

where and when did you buy yours?

I am still waiting for mine (nil stock at the supplier I have chosen))

First Light optics, there always quick to reply if you have any queries about stock ect. I've purchased everything from them and always been very happy with there service.

If you do, then make sure to check availability before buying - I have chosen the seller who took my money and I am still waiting for delivery (almost 6 weeks now), despite the fact that webpage didn't mention any stock problems :mad:

Great review!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I own the 26mm, 32mm and the 38mm Panaviews, all excellent eyepieces though the 38mm being quite huge I need to the counterweights on my 12" Dob tube, as it makes the Dob very top heavy and unsteady!!

I totally agree that the 70 degree FOV is unbelieveable, 32mm is a very good buy and 26mm is not bad ethier, I would skip the 38mm is far to big and bulky!!!  :laugh:

For £79 you can't grumble at the price, infact it's quite cheap!! As some eyepieces can cost several hundreds of pounds, which for me being an owner of a ES 100 degree 14mm Explorer 2" eyepiece, I hardly use it and too be fair I prefer to use these Skywatcher Panaviews, I think the FOV is perfect for DSO observing, I feel that 100 degree is for too much and I often get eye strain from it, which shows that overly priced eyepieces aren't usually the better choice!!

The Panaviews are superb!! And would seriously suggest anyone to purchase one any day!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 2

good review and an ep i am waiting to get delivered to compliment the 38mm panaview i currently have.

One question though, has anyone tried to barlow these eps yet?

As i am seriously considering getting the 26mm as well to make a full set and using a decent 2" barlow to give me a nice range of 38, 32, 26, 19, 16, 13mm - which should cover the majority of my ep requirements in my 12" dob, except for planetary (my 6.4mm ortho covers that one).

good review and an ep i am waiting to get delivered to compliment the 38mm panaview i currently have.

One question though, has anyone tried to barlow these eps yet?

As i am seriously considering getting the 26mm as well to make a full set and using a decent 2" barlow to give me a nice range of 38, 32, 26, 19, 16, 13mm - which should cover the majority of my ep requirements in my 12" dob, except for planetary (my 6.4mm ortho covers that one).

I can only comment on my EP in my telescope and using my 2x barlow works really well hope that helps lol

Excellent review. I have been thinking for a while about getting one of these. I currently use a 1.25" 32mm Revelation eyepiece for DSOs which I find very good but the 2" Panaview sounds so much better. Maybe if I speak nicely to Mrs Mad Taff I'll get one for Christmas. I didn't realise you had to get a 2" adaptor as well tho. I assumed that just taking out the 1.25" fitting and slipping the 2" eyepiece would be ok. 

Excellent review. I have been thinking for a while about getting one of these. I currently use a 1.25" 32mm Revelation eyepiece for DSOs which I find very good but the 2" Panaview sounds so much better. Maybe if I speak nicely to Mrs Mad Taff I'll get one for Christmas. I didn't realise you had to get a 2" adaptor as well tho. I assumed that just taking out the 1.25" fitting and slipping the 2" eyepiece would be ok.

Neither did I, had to ask on here for help. The skywatcher telescope I own came with a 2" and 1.25" adapters, not owning a 2" EP before I'd forgot I had it and subsequently lost it. You can only imagine the horror when I tried it for the first time and it didn't work lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has arrived at long last today and the first thing I found was that the focuser couldn't handle the weight - need to find out quickly how to adjust it.

Lucky I checked in the daytime - there would be some very technical English in use if I discovered it tonight in the darkness :grin:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...