Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you attach a handle to steer a dob?

emadmoussa

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you search for "dob knob" you'll find that it's not a rude reference to a user of non equatorially mounted scopes, but should actually turn up examples of exactly the procedure you suggest.  The flextube dobs even come with them fitted.

James

It's a nice feature having a steering knob (trying to keep a serious face here :) ), but I wasn't thinking about drilling or screwing into anything..knowing me, I will for some bizarre reason hit the mirror..and since my DIY accidents are weird, somehow the neighbor will get hurt.

Anyway, other solutions apart from screwing....some kind of wrap-around reign...?!!

Are you going to make a leather covering for this one ? its a lot longer

Can't be bothered...the difference with a Dobsonian, you don't have to mount and balance with counterweight and this stuff...so less chance of scratches and accidents. Having said that...I'm not sure!

I like the idea it keeps tem looking new :smiley:

I think for the C11 the leather did the job very well and it actually gave me a better grip on the scope. However, telescopes with rings can get a bit difficult since the leather is fairly thick and you'll need to press the rings really hard to get them to hook. I had the leather on the 80ED for a while then removed it. I don't have any leathers on my refractors anymore...if I ever get another SCT, I think I might have another go..

No need to remove the mirrors, as Shane said lie the tube horizontally and place a piece of timber behind where you drilling, it will stop you smashing into the tube when you drill through). Then vacuum up any bits inside the tube. Also use a drill bit for the size of bolt your using no need to use smaller drill bits, It's only thin metal.

This is actually ideal. How sticky is it to the tube body?

I hope it's not too strong of a magnetic, otherwise it'll act like a black hole and suck the light photons away before they hit the objective mirror :D :D

Why bother drilling any holes in the tube?. Just buy a handle you like and a bit of double sided sticky velcro. Put some on the tube where you want and the other bit on the handle and attach. It is incredibly strong stuff. The handle will not come off in your hand as you move the Dob.

Cheap as chips and you can buy it all in the local DIY store for maybe a fiver.

OK...............chips dont cost a fiver, but you know what i mean.

Archived