NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ8 - Installation and Commissioning

Gina

This effectively follows on from the Unboxing thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197646-eq8-the-unboxing/  and also from the Preparations thread in the "DIY Observatories" forum - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197589-preparations-for-new-eq8-mount/

Firstly I'll cover the pier adapter plate modifications required to go from the NEQ6 to the EQ8.  The EQ8 requirements are actually much simpler and do not need a double stepped mounting hole - just a flat plate with a 12mm hole in the middle for an M12 attachment bolt, the usual post for use in azimuth Polar Alignment and two M8 threaded holes for M8 screws that secure the azimuth adjustment after PA.  FLO have very conveniently provided the details of the pier adapter plate needed to mount an EQ8 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq8-mount.html - scroll down the page.

This is my version

post-13131-0-33597700-1382712316_thumb.j

Note that the AZ post is on the south side of the mounting and 54mm from the centre whereas the NEQ6 is on the north side and 45mm from centre.  The change in orientation caught me out and I had to trun my adapter plate through 180 degrees (I moved the N sticky tape marker to suit).  Fortunately my hole drilling was accurate enough for the holes to still match the bottom plate.

The 30mm hole in the top plate was reduced to 12mm by using a ball bearing 12mm ID x 30mm OD x 8mm thick obtained from Simply Bearings.  Then a large "penny" washer on the 12mm bolt covered the 30mm hole from below.  Previously when I had the NEQ6 mounted I had a 5mm thick aluminium plate cut out to take the 60mm x 5mm step on the NEQ6.  This is now not used.  The 12mm bolt is only partly threaded leaving the full 12mm smooth part to fit the 12mm hole in the bearing.   The threaded part is actually slightly smaller than 12mm and would cause slop in a 12mm hole.

These photos show the M12 bolt and AZ post from above

post-13131-0-28668500-1382716887_thumb.j  post-13131-0-32250900-1382712321_thumb.j  post-13131-0-93788700-1382712324_thumb.j 

And here is the underside showing the M12 bolt and penny washer.

post-13131-0-34543200-1382712327_thumb.j 

In this photo we see the EQ8 mounted on the top pier plate with four piles of washers to provide separation to access the M12 central bolt.  Bolts, nuts and spring washers hold the plates together.  ATM one bolt is left out because the head fouled the AZ adjustment knob.

post-13131-0-93388700-1382712311_thumb.j  post-13131-0-42522200-1382712308_thumb.j

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I do things I take photos :)  Then I come indoors, bung the SD card in the PC slot and copy the decent ones into Photoshop for a touch of tittivating and size reduction for posting here.  I quite enjoy reporting my progress here :)

As I do things I take photos :)  Then I come indoors, bung the SD card in the PC slot and copy the decent ones into Photoshop for a touch of tittivating and size reduction for posting here.  I quite enjoy reporting my progress here :)

Many of us enjoy reading them...:)

Many of us enjoy reading them... :)

Good :)  I hope so :D  I hope some of it is informative and helpful too and I try to include as much detail as I can.  I'm very happy if I can help others with their installation etc.

Will do :)  Currently "rain stops play" oh and the wind too :(  No my obsy doesn't leak but the sky between house and obsy certainly does! :D  Hopefully, play will continue tomorrow :)

Thank you Gina for all of your posts.

I am also considering the Eq8.

I am in the process of selling my Hangglider. The Eq8 will take it's place.

Selling your set of wings is a bit like selling your horse, So difficult to let it go and be without wings.

I am not getting the time to fly as much and after 30 years of hanggliding I can say that I have been privileged.

My wife and Daughter are happy with the decision too.

Thank you Gina for all of your posts.

I am also considering the Eq8.

I am in the process of selling my Hangglider. The Eq8 will take it's place.

Selling your set of wings is a bit like selling your horse, So difficult to let it go and be without wings.

I am not getting the time to fly as much and after 30 years of hanggliding I can say that I have been privileged.

My wife and Daughter are happy with the decision too.

Selling your hangglider is pretty drastic - you must really have been bitten by the AP bug :D  Soaring up in the skies must have been very exhilarating - I would have liked to have done that but life's too short to fit everything in.  Astronomy is certainly a far safer hobby/pasttime except on your wallet.  I can imagine how relieved your family must feel. 

Great posts, Gina, as always. Inspiring both technically and emotionally.

Gotta say this; the washer stacks make me nervous...

Olly

Thank you Olly - I appreciate that :)

I have been using stacks of washers quite successfully with the NEQ6 - I think they provide more rigidity than bolts or threaded rod with nuts on.  OTOH there is a possibility that I may use something else.

Thank you Olly - I appreciate that :)

I have been using stacks of washers quite successfully with the NEQ6 - I think they provide more rigidity than bolts or threaded rod with nuts on.  OTOH there is a possibility that I may use something else.

Nice shiny Brass spacers with DSO names engraved on them......

Gotta say this; the washer stacks make me nervous...

Olly

Come on Olly, there is a bolt going through them.

A real risk taker would have a bare nut and bolt, and a couple of free-standing stacks of washers each side!  :eek:

Thanks for all the info Gina, this is really interesting stuff, can't wait for some output - when is the cloud zapper being delivered?

keep it up,

Jack

Gina, Why the hell did you use washers????  Why didn't use bigger bolts with a nut and washer under and over the plate to allow leveling?

Those washers will not give you stability. Those washers look so amateurish. Never ever, undersize stability for cost.

While it appears you are making a big deal of setting up this mount, you end up using washers!  WHY???.

So while I'm not telling you how to suck eggs,  Steel and Alum with your wet and humid climate will case corrosion, as the ali will be slowly eaten away with steel rust.

My suggestion is to use 12mm or even 16mm SS bolts, washers and nuts.

What are you going to swing on this mount anyway?

As for me, I've been in astronomy for 60 years. My trade was a Boilermaker/Welder.  During my time I've built many Eq. mounts and big ones at that, so I think I now what I'm on about.

I've had my EQ8 for 3 weeks and while it has some faults (which you will soon find out)  the EQ8 is made for work. It's a big mount and deserves a better set up than what you have.

Other than that, It's good see another happy EQ8 customer.

James

I was thinking the same thing... Washers... Now that it is out in the open you're going to get battered to pieces in this thread ;)

My pier design for both the balcony obs, the one in France and the one in the Stockholm archipelago, is based entirely on steel and a clever top design that is completely flat. The bolts are welded onto the bottom of the top plate. Also, no washers, or at least no stacks of them :)

I really do recommend the design!

/per

Image of the short version for remote obs, five minutes after completion:

IMG_0109.JPG

I was thinking the same thing... Washers... Now that it is out in the open you're going to get battered to pieces in this thread ;)

My pier design for both the balcony obs, the one in France and the one in the Stockholm archipelago, is based entirely on steel and a clever top design that is completely flat. The bolts are welded onto the bottom of the top plate. Also, no washers, or at least no stacks of them :)

I really do recommend the design!

/per

Image of the short version for remote obs, five minutes after completion:

IMG_0109.JPG

Now, that is what I call a practical head top.

One thing we must all remember. The weight of the mount and scope bears down closer to the centre of the plate, so the bolts should be closer in. But, if the plate is thick and I mean thick... >16m and the bolts are same thickness as the plates, then no problem.

So Gina, please take note of this setup here and removed those washers.

Here's a close up of my EQ8 system. The EQ8 pipe pier is actually inside the 10" dia. steel pipe 900mm high which has three only, 1" foot adjusting bolts with nuts under and over the 1" pier and base plates.

The next pic is the 500kg payload  GEM I built 33 years ago. It carries a 12" F15 C/Cass. C8 G/scope. 80mm finder. a GOTO 4" refr. and a Pentax 67 400/4 adapted to Nikon and we have a Canon 40D mod. DSLR for the cass.

The next pic is that of the C14 fastar system. Note the additional c/weights. The EQ8 is now carrying 68 kgs and the mount doesn't even know it. I can now do up to 15 mins. unguided exp.  thanks to a perfect PA and balance. Until the Skyscan firmware is fixed. do your PA manually and learn from it.

Finally, that is I, at the controls of EQ8, Titan 50, EQ6 Pro and the Paramount GT1100.

That's a 10mm thick steel plate. The closer in the bolts are, the harder to make small adjustments. My mounts (the 10Micron ones) are very sensitive to errors in leveling as they calculate all errors in the rig (ortogonality, polar and predictable flexure). I promise you, that steel plate does not bulge in any way.

Having the bolts closer to the center also makes the top wobblier. Nah, I will keep them as far out as possible, use short ones, and always do them in thick enough steel. My bolts are M12 by the way.

/per

Archived