NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ8 - Installation and Commissioning

Gina

To see any terrestrial objects (which I use for setting up etc.) I shall have to raise the mount by at least 4" (100mm).  ATM I can't get to any trees or distant buildings to focus on.  I know this isn't crucial and that the telescopes are meant for stars and gas clouds but I've found it very useful in the past.  I propose to use studding as an interim measure and see how it goes.  Won't get delivery until Tuesday at the very earliest so I'll use the present mounting method if we get any clear night skies before then (unlikely).

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... I think you have your camera sticking out the wrong way. For balancing it is much better to have top or bottom (I prefer bottom).

/per

Newbalc2.jpg

I've turned the scope round in its rings now and the camera is on the top.

I've had the EQ8 working :)  With EQDIR lead and EQMOD/ASCOM - slewing and parking, CdC slew to object, AstroTortilla - slew to bookmarked object.  PHD connects fine but needs stars to test.  Set up new "Safe" Park position where roof can be opened and closed without hitting the scope too. The old one was no good because the weight bar is much longer on the EQ8 than the NEQ6.  Testing was with the roof closed due to the inclement weather.  I'm so much looking forward to testing this mount with REAL STUFF :D

The motors make a bit more noise than I expected but there's no dreadful gear rattle so familiar with the NEQ6.  Slewing seems smooth and positive :)

post-13131-0-93990000-1382810940_thumb.j

That's a good start, always nice when its works first time...

Yes, thank you :)  Thought I had a problem at first until I realised I hadn't switched the mount on :D  Goofy Gina strikes again :D

Gina

Can I ask why you decided to upgrade to the EQ8? I'm not familiar with this mount, but I presume it must give improved tracking? Your EQ6 was beefy enough for the size scopes you have, so it can't be for improved load carrying, unless you're upgrading to a behemoth OTA of course?

Ah, just realised I posted my last post whilst looking at the previous page and hadn't noticed the new scope! We'll, I am reading and posting on my iPhone, so that's my excuse!

Still a bit curious though, my friend has an MN like yours on an EQ6 together with a bunch of camera gear and it works a treat.

For balancing it is much better to have top or bottom (I prefer bottom).

I have always had my camera on the top of the scope for balance, and its always been a pain when wiring up.  Why didn't I think of spinning it around to the bottom???

Its the simple (but blindingly obvious) thing to solve that issue.  Many thanks for the top tip per. 

John

No worries! Just make sure that it can pass the mount top properly :)

I currently have my QSI683 on the 190MN and an SBIG STi guider mounted. Not that I guide, but I do need to test it as I have written the ASCOM driver myself. With that combo, my clearance is just shy of 5 mm for the angled STi USB Mini connector to touch the mount top. That's with the bigger mount, the GM2000HPS. I'll post a picture later today when the risk of rain is gone.

/per

Interesting that you find M12 bolts sufficient :)

On the aircraft I work on the engines are held on by 16 nuts and bolts which aren't much more than m16 howerver they are made of Stainless steel.

The only advantage I can see by replacing those washers is making adjustment easier....if it works leave well alone.

Keep up the good work Gina

P.S. Airbus A320's

Gina

Can I ask why you decided to upgrade to the EQ8? I'm not familiar with this mount, but I presume it must give improved tracking? Your EQ6 was beefy enough for the size scopes you have, so it can't be for improved load carrying, unless you're upgrading to a behemoth OTA of course?

Three reasons really

1. I DO want more weight handling.  I want to put the MN190 (10Kg) plus two Evostar ED80 DS Pros with FR/FF plus my triple widefield rig so that I don't have to mess about swapping scopes.  Also, I want to put the Atik 460EX plus EFW2, OAG and Lodestar on the MN190 and 314L+ with DIY FWs on the two ED80s to provide a triple imaging rig.  I worked out that this is well above the recommended maximum load on an NEQ6.
  2. I would like to take unguided subs of more than the minute or two that the NEQ6 gives - the EQ8 is reckonned to allow 10-15m unguided subs.  I often lose guiding during an overnight unattended run due to passing cloud and once the cloud has gone the mount/scope has moved too much off target for PHD to pick up the guide star again.
  3. I would love to try out the latest gear and be at the forefront of the "game" - the "cutting edge" :)

Ah, just realised I posted my last post whilst looking at the previous page and hadn't noticed the new scope! We'll, I am reading and posting on my iPhone, so that's my excuse!

Still a bit curious though, my friend has an MN like yours on an EQ6 together with a bunch of camera gear and it works a treat.

Actually the MN190 isn't a new scope, I've had it on the NEQ6 for quite a while now.  With 460EX, EFW2, OAG and Lodestar.  It's a brilliant setup for imaging :)  All top-notch stuff and now the EQ8 will top it off (so to speak) :)

On the aircraft I work on the engines are held on by 16 nuts and bolts which aren't much more than m16 howerver they are made of Stainless steel.

The only advantage I can see by replacing those washers is making adjustment easier....if it works leave well alone.

Keep up the good work Gina

P.S. Airbus A320's

Thank you Andy :)   I shall have to replace the washers as I want the mount higher - at least 4" (100mm) and maybe 6" (150mm).  That would mean 200mm between plates.  I have the 5" steel tube from the EQ6 pier extender but unfortunately the studding coming out of the concrete is on about a 5" diameter circle and the tube won't fit.  With that the scope would be just around 80mm below what it was on the NEQ6 whereas now it's about 230mm lower and the low altitude view is being restricted.

Operations are now suspended for a day or two due to incoming storm warning.  Apart from the EQ8 (which has gone back in it's box and put in the warm room) I have brought most of my stuff indoors.  I shall be doing some jobs indoors (maybe paint pier plates) including looking at mounting my ED80s either side of the MN190.

Painted one side of each pier plate - the white looked all wrong with the black mount :D  I'll probably paint the other sides tomorrow when the paint is dry.

post-13131-0-83929300-1382892607_thumb.j

One thought about the paint, Gina. Won't it make the top of the plate sticky and hence prevent the azimuth adjustment from working?

I was wondering if, in lieu of PTFE (Teflontm) pads, you can use the sides of plastic milk "bottles" cut into shape and stuck down with superglue. The thin polythene should act as a nice, non-compressible, slippery bearing surface.

One thought about the paint, Gina. Won't it make the top of the plate sticky and hence prevent the azimuth adjustment from working?

I was wondering if, in lieu of PTFE (Teflontm) pads, you can use the sides of plastic milk "bottles" cut into shape and stuck down with superglue. The thin polythene should act as a nice, non-compressible, slippery bearing surface.

I plan to cover the soft and maybe sticky paint with plastic to overcome this problem.

Yes, plastic milk bottles are one thought that has been mentioned and I have left a 4 litre milk bottle out to work on.  The paint might be enough to stick it :D  But I do have superglue.

Hi Gina,

I have been following your EQ8 progress, your going to love the new mount, works really well,  we control ours with EQMOD.

It takes time to set up, but worth the effort.

Here is a link to our website, shows the build and finished set up, its taken us two years to finish the whole set up.

//kiwiobservatory.co.nz/history/

And a link to a short promo video we did recently, 

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77466705?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="
">Kiwi Observatory Promo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/langwoodsphotography">Langwoods Photography</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Hi Gina,

I have been following your EQ8 progress, your going to love the new mount, works really well,  we control ours with EQMOD.

It takes time to set up, but worth the effort.

Here is a link to our website, shows the build and finished set up, its taken us two years to finish the whole set up.

//kiwiobservatory.co.nz/history/

And a link to a short promo video we did recently, 

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77466705?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="
">Kiwi Observatory Promo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/langwoodsphotography">Langwoods Photography</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Nice panning.. How did you achieve that?! :)

Archived