Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ8 - Installation and Commissioning

Gina

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just put the Esprit 80ED with 11" Losmandy style dovetail plus OAG, adapter, Lodestar, EFW2 and 460EX on the EQ8 mount and it's just a little light for the EQ8 with just one weight hard up against the mount.  I don't expect to keep this setup though - I'm intending to load up the EQ8 with the MN190, two Evostar 80EDs and the Esprit 80 on top of the MN190.  That lot should test the EQ8 :D

Let's add it up... 

1. MN190 - 10Kg
  2. 15" Losmandy style dovetail plus tube rings plus 500mm x 250mm a 10mm aluminium plate to take the Evostar 80EDs - 6Kg
  3. Two Evostar 80EDs @ 3Kg = 6Kg
  4. Esprit 80ED with 460EX imaging train - 7Kg
  5. Two 314L+ @ 400g = 800g plus DIY filter drawers @ say 300g = 1.4Kg

Total 30.4Kg - well within the specified max load of 50Kg but over half.

I've just put the Esprit 80ED with 11" Losmandy style dovetail plus OAG, adapter, Lodestar, EFW2 and 460EX on the EQ8 mount and it's just a little light for the EQ8 with just one weight hard up against the mount.  I don't expect to keep this setup though - I'm intending to load up the EQ8 with the MN190, two Evostar 80EDs and the Esprit 80 on top of the MN190.  That lot should test the EQ8 :D

Let's add it up... 

1. MN190 - 10Kg
  2. 15" Losmandy style dovetail plus tube rings plus 500mm x 250mm a 10mm aluminium plate to take the Evostar 80EDs - 6Kg
  3. Two Evostar 80EDs @ 3Kg = 6Kg
  4. Esprit 80ED with 460EX imaging train - 7Kg
  5. Two 314L+ @ 400g = 800g plus DIY filter drawers @ say 300g = 1.4Kg

Total 30.4Kg - well within the specified max load of 50Kg but over half.

Is that 50kg max payload an imaging max payload or the total payload max? Either ways its impressive. 

Is that 50kg max payload an imaging max payload or the total payload max? Either ways its impressive. 

Don't know but I would think it's probably total payload max.  Maybe Steve of FLO will be finding out to add the info to the web site as he has for the NEQ6.

Don't know but I would think it's probably total payload max.  Maybe Steve of FLO will be finding out to add the info to the web site as he has for the NEQ6.

I would think its the max payload too. But since this mount was designed more for the imager I thought that maybe they would give the imaging payload. 

I would think its the max payload too. But since this mount was designed more for the imager I thought that maybe they would give the imaging payload. 

As a Beta Tester for Synta which includes mounts and Skyscan, the EQ8 has a base load of 50kgs but has been tested to double that.

From what I've gleaned, the EQ8 was designed for primarily for imagers who use heavy equipment - CF truss Astrographs, C14 fastars, large refractors,  FF CCD cameras and guide scopes etc.

That is why the mount slews at 3.3 D/sec. Anything faster in slewing and breaking, something would give.

I have my EQ8 loaded up to ~68kgs and can move the gear in any axis with my little finger, as the balance. is spot-on.

So load up your EQ8 and enjoy this great mount. :smiley:

As a Beta Tester for Synta which includes mounts and Skyscan, the EQ8 has a base load of 50kgs but has been tested to double that.

From what I've gleaned, the EQ8 was designed for primarily for imagers who use heavy equipment - CF truss Astrographs, C14 fastars, large refractors,  FF CCD cameras and guide scopes etc.

That is why the mount slews at 3.3 D/sec. Anything faster in slewing and breaking, something would give.

I have my EQ8 loaded up to ~68kgs and can move the gear in any axis with my little finger, as the balance. is spot-on.

Thank you very much :)  Makes me feel much happier :)

Thats awesome. I take it you've imaged with it yet? Had any backlash issues or PE issues yet?

That simply cannot be the case. The GM2000HPS, with similar payload, slews at 20 degrees per second fully loaded. If the EQ8 can't slew more than 3 deg/sec it s most certainly not from fear of anything breaking, more a design choice and limitations in motors.

Managed to almost complete a PA of the mount tonight.  Did altitude first and got within a minute of arc then went on to azimuth and got down to a couple of minutes before the mist/thin cloud obscured the stars.  Used Esprit 80ED and 460EX with AT's PA tool.

Hi Gina, great writing about the EQ8 i have mine now and just wanted to ask, have you had any issue balancing the DEC axis?

i find my dec axis  on the stiff side,  the lock works fine but the axis is not as loose as i would expect, it's difficult to balance the scope and does not show imbalance unless i really unbalance it.

My previous mount was very sensitive to dec balance..not so the EQ8, or at least mine!

Ray

Yes, the axes are a bit stiff even with the locks backed right off.  OTOH I think balance might be less critical with this mount and if it's loaded up a bit of stiffness won't be noticeable.  The Esptit 80ED plus filter wheel and 460EX CCD camera on it's own is rather too light for this mount and it won't balance with the weights supplied (just one right up hard against the mount).  But that won't be how I shall be using it :D  The Esprit will be joined by an MN190 and two Evostar 80EDs and a fair weight of thick ali plate etc.

O.K Gina, if i am honest, this is the second reply to this question that i have had with the same answer, it confirms that the dec axis is a little bit tight as normal.

I agree with the weight issue, i am probably too light too Vixen Fluorite, finder DSLR ect.

Ta Ray 

LOL.... I have an old saying in AP.: "...Don't let the stars get in the way of a good image..." 

I have a few different sayings in AP.

- The stars and the background sky are the hardest parts to get right.

- If the stars aren't resolved, how come anything else is resolved?

- If the image is any good, post it at 1 to 1. 

- Put up or shut up. 328mm focal length, full size. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2338063598&k=rNfQT5R&lb=1&s=O

Olly

Just about finished my PA before the rain came in :)  I think within a minute of arc is reasonable but I might just tweak it a bit more another night when the stars are out.

post-13131-0-89485100-1383946586.png

That is just a stunner Olly, what did you take that with.

Ray

My post was a bit aggressive.  Sorry.  For better or for worse, my image was taken with a Takahashi FSQ85 reduced to F3.9 with an overlay at native FL at F5.3. Camera was an Atik 4000. The main part of the image, therefore, was taken at 3.39 arcseconds per pixel which, if one were to believe all the threads on assorted forums, would condemn it instantly to the dustbin. Well, there you have it at full size. It isn't Hubble but I do quite like it.

Olly

Archived