Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which binocular books did you buy ?

edjuh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stargazing For Beginners: A Binocular Tour of the Night Sky. I have the southern sky version, but find it quite good. Actually, I've had my most enjoyable nights with binoculars accompanied by this book, now that I think about it!

incoming :

Leslie Portier   -   The Binocular Stargazer: A Beginner's Guide to Exploring the Sky   
John T. Kozak  -   Deep-Sky Objects for Binoculars  

P.G. Meesters  -   Mijn sterrenwacht

Before I got around to writing the book I wanted :grin: , I've had:

Patrick Moore: Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars - typical Patrick; divides opinion; no spoon-feeding/requires you to think. A bit dated now.

Crossen & Tirion: Binocular Astronomy - mainly for the charts (you know that anything by Wil Tirion will be very good)

Harrington: Touring the Universe Through Binoculars - over 1000 objects and superb object descriptions. A bit dated, but now available as a free download, so good for anyone on a budget.

I indeed forgot :

Harrington         : Touring the Universe Through Binoculars

Thiemes Sterrenboek

Alders               : bouw je eigen sterrenkijker.

Koppeschaar    : de Maan                                   (http://carlkop.home.xs4all.nl/moonbook.html)

Upcoming    ^^^^ his book, due at either 5 December or the 25th December

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Stargazing For Beginners: A Binocular Tour of the Night Sky. I have the southern sky version, but find it quite good. Actually, I've had my most enjoyable nights with binoculars accompanied by this book, now that I think about it!

I really want this book! I'm going to Zambia in a fortnight and I cant find any binocular sky books for the Southern Hemisphere for sale anywhere from here in England. With me being very new to star-gazing I'm in particular need of such a book Please, if anyone can point me in the direction of any such book for the Southern Hemisphere it'd be much appreciated. Even Amazon dont have it, I'm desperate! 

Hi Victoria, if you've a Kindle you can find some gems really cheap on Amazon. Although generally paper books are more usable outside, it might be easier to take electronic copies on a Kindle to Zambia than taking paper copies. If you've not got a Kindle machine, the Kindle app is available for loads of smartphones and tablets etc.

+1 for Tonkin and Harrington, but also check out Stephen James O'Meara's bincocular book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Solar-System-Binoculars-Beginners/dp/0521741289/ref=la_B001H6S87S_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392073693&sr=1-4 ) and his Southern Gems book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Sky-Companions-Stephen-James-OMeara/dp/1107015014/ref=la_B001H6S87S_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392073757&sr=1-5 )

Hi Victoria, if you've a Kindle you can find some gems really cheap on Amazon. Although generally paper books are more usable outside, it might be easier to take electronic copies on a Kindle to Zambia than taking paper copies. If you've not got a Kindle machine, the Kindle app is available for loads of smartphones and tablets etc.

+1 for Tonkin and Harrington, but also check out Stephen James O'Meara's bincocular book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Solar-System-Binoculars-Beginners/dp/0521741289/ref=la_B001H6S87S_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392073693&sr=1-4 ) and his Southern Gems book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Sky-Companions-Stephen-James-OMeara/dp/1107015014/ref=la_B001H6S87S_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392073757&sr=1-5 )

Hey crebles, Dont have a Kindle, or a smart phone, or a lap top, or a tablet...:)

Really want the Gems of the Southern Sky one but after buying the Cambridge star Atlas last week, I just cant afford it. I wish I'd seen and bought this one instead :(

Hi,

Specifically regarding binoculars I have:

Stargazing with binoculars(Scagell/Frydman) - good little book that got me going when I bought my 12x60s a few years ago.  

Binocular Aastronomy (Stephen Tonkin) read cover to cover - invaluable reference and a must for every astro binocular owner.

Viewing the Constellations with Binoculars (Bojan Kambic) - a nice Xmas present. Initially I was a bit disappointed with this - really promotes the use of 10x50 binos but then seems to illustrate many objects that you will not see in 10x50s. However once I got down to actually digesting it it - its a book with loads of useful information - I particularly like the detailed info on individual stars, clusters etc which many books either skimp a bit over or miss altogether.  

+1 for O'Meara; and also

Sky Vistas: Astronomy for binoculars and richest-field telescopes by Crossen and Rhemann (Springer)

The title is a bit of a misnomer as the book is not just an observing guide but goes into the 3D structure of our galaxy, so of much wider interest. For me, it adds a lot to the pleasure of observation knowing that the object I'm looking at (eg M24) is actually a chance view to the next-but-one spiral arm through a window in the dust lanes.

However, for anyone tempted to acquire a copy: as noted in a thread on Cloudy Nights getting an original copy (rather than print-on-demand) is hit-and-miss -- mainly miss. And it makes a big difference as part of the point of this book is to showcase Gerald Rhemann's photos, which are highly degraded by the POD process. I got a poor copy via Alibris. Springer really need to get a grip on this. Having said all of that, the text, and coverage of binocular objects, is superb.

I ended up with an original of Crossen's work simply by ordering it when released. Anymore, I try to get books as soon as I learn of them for fear they'll soon be out of print, or only to be had by POD. I have no interest in electronic "books". 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on a copy of Steve Tonkin's "Binocular Astronomy" (Seconds Edition) - it really is very good.

First half of the book tells you everything you could want to know about binocular astronomy, and the second half is full of sky maps. I think this one is going to end up living in my grab and go case along with my 'core' texts of Tirion's Cambridge Star Atlas 4th ed; Turn Left at Orion: Collins Gem Stars; and Philip Harrington's Cosmic Challenge.

Archived