Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you're all doing well... Up at Kielder at the minute and the skies are amazing... Shame I don't have scope up. Got some aurora tonight faint red and green, think I can also just see comet lovejoy naked eye... I am looking in the right spot triangulated with Sirius and Rigel. Due some good weather over the next couple of nights so will try to get some pics, but as its so cold the lenses are dewing up pretty quickly.

I've got a friend over from singapore tonight so earlier on i got the telescope out in the yard -light pollution sucks but i managed to show him the moon , double cluster, pleiades. Then we had to go out to show him one of the bars and let him meet the missus. We got back at perfect time, beautiful clear skies and no moon just a few Street lights and armed with the bins i showed him around Auriga, Orion, the double cluster, the spiral cluster, jupiter, cassiopeia - he was amazed and so was i at how my knowledge of the sky has come on since i met you guys. I saw a fuzzy patch near m36 slightly to the right but when i check stellarium there doesn't seem to be anything i can relate to what i saw. any ideas?

Sounds like you had a good viewing evening. Having a look at the charts I have, I can only think that the "fuzzy patch" might be either M38, or the Flaming Star Nebula C31. Can't see anything else in that area, but I have VERY limited knowledge. I managed half an hour with the binoculars, but the pesky alarm clock was due to go off again at 6am, so didn't want to be too naughty lol :)

I've got a friend over from singapore tonight so earlier on i got the telescope out in the yard -light pollution sucks but i managed to show him the moon , double cluster, pleiades. Then we had to go out to show him one of the bars and let him meet the missus. We got back at perfect time, beautiful clear skies and no moon just a few Street lights and armed with the bins i showed him around Auriga, Orion, the double cluster, the spiral cluster, jupiter, cassiopeia - he was amazed and so was i at how my knowledge of the sky has come on since i met you guys. I saw a fuzzy patch near m36 slightly to the right but when i check stellarium there doesn't seem to be anything i can relate to what i saw. any ideas?

May have been NGC1931 (the fly) as its the nearest object or spider neb (IC417) the rest are the same distance away as M38? I've checked heavens above too and there are no comets about? so not sure Sam

went out last night trying to learn how to use the new goto software on the telescope + my 11 year old daughter wants to learn as well went out at 9pm came back in at 11 due to cold

my backgarden is Rubbish for observing got a streetlight straight outside gonna have to find my lamppost key and pull the fuse( shh don't tell anyone)

wont be going to winscarr till the roads are safe got 2inch thick ice here so going to be worst over there :(

I need a tracking scope up at Kielder or better yet I need to get my 12" set up and working in its own Obsy. The skies are great once more but will have to settle for wide field on the canon again and use the terrascans for visual

Archived