Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bahtinov focus mask

I have just ordered a Bahtinov mask as Im not convinced Im getting the best focus that i can. My question is: Can you put the mask over your dew shield or do I need to put it directly to the scope? Just trying to save messing about removing and refitting dew shield. ( a bit lazy I know).

I did wonder this myself when I started using one on my Mak 127.  I reasoned that it works happily for refractors with fixed dew shields, so it shouldn't be a problem if I didn't remove the dew shield on the Mak and just rested the mask on the end of the shield.  As far as I've been able to tell it's worked just fine.

James

And do not worry about the mask being central on the aperture either, it does not matter if it is slightly off, the resulting refraction will always appear on the central axis of your scope :)

Mine seems to tolerate a surprising degree of error. I once found it had slipped off one of it's pegs leaving a large gap, but still worked fine!

Archived