The fatal danger of cloudy skies

As a relative newbie I have been interested to observe the questions placed by others new to the hobby.

Often it goes something like - "bins for under 100, which should I buy?" or

"Just starting out and need a scope for max. 300 but don't need anything else until I know if it's for me. Which scope would be best?".

The advice from members of this site is extremely useful and provided by people who were themselves newbies once, no matter how long ago that might be!

But what nobody informs the bewildered newbie is just what financial burden can result when those first experiences with the new scope or bins - probably starting with the moon and then progressing to Jupiter and/or Saturn if they're lucky - are followed by weeks or even months of lousy skies.

In my case the new scope was purchased in June but has had to date but a handful of short outings into the garden (which has restricted visibility anyway) and the rest has been frustration.

In order not to let the frustration get to me I found myself reading book after book on astronomy and of course spending far too much time on this website! But the retail therapy which accompanied these activities has proved the biggest adiction to result from lack of quality viewing. Here is a list - by no means complete - of what I've bought in the meantime to support my habit, sorry, hobby:-

4  bins yes 4 !!!- Nikon, Kowa, Opticron & Bresser

Polar scope

Finder scope upgrade to 9x50

Telrad

8mm Baader Hyperion EP

20mm Omegon SWA EP

Celestron ultima Barlow

Cheshire collimator

Metal case to transport scope

2 metal cases for eyepieces and accessories

Decent compass

Pistol-Grip Ball-Head

Tripod

Monopod

2 torches

1 fold-up lounger

Countless books on astronomy

Subscription to The Sky At Night ....................................

What the newbie REALLY needs to know is how to avoid this slippery slope towards bankrptcy when his intention is really only to buy a 130 SW Dob and be happy with the stock EPs.

Anybody else experienced the retail therapy remedy for cloudy skies???

Kind regards

Roger

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel left out, I bought a s/h 200p with a telrad and a few bits and pieces, stock EPs etc and I havn't bought a single thing since! Havn't actually had the scope out for two weeks though as either work, weather or wife have kept me away from it...

Wait until you get under dark skies and look through someone's 16" dob and you fall foul of aperture hunger. Sleepless nights thinking how you can sell the clothes off your back to fund one only to find the next accessory you would need is a car big enough to transport it.

I think taking most hobbies taken seriously can get expensive but we should count ourselves lucky that most of us are not into sky or scuba diving, flying, skiing, racing cars, yachts, goldsmithing, horse jumping or making films :grin:

But on a serious note (sorry to bring the thread down) I try whenever possible to follow Thoreau's principle that 'the cost of a thing is the amount..of life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.'

So, if someone says they have spent x amount on y it means very little to me unless I know how much life they gave for that thing.

If, for example, someone earns £10 an hour and they donate £10 to charity, or spend £1,000 on astronomy gear that says more to me than someone earning £50 an hour and donating £10 to charity, or spending £1,000 on gear. The former individual, in these examples, has given more of his or her life to that given cause or hobby and by inference has given more of themselves, more passion and 'sacrifice' to that thing.

The real price of a thing, then, isn't just its numeral tag, but the actual amount of life we give up or dedicate in purchasing that thing. In this manner, I think the cost of all these astro-things may work out extremely cheap and worth every life hour we've given up to acquire them.

I hope that makes some kind of sense :smiley:

I cut my lifestyle to the bone to buy astronomy equipment. 3 more eyepieces, couple of filters & 12v power supply for dew heaters, then I'm done equipment wise. The only money that will be spent on astronomy from then on will be on books.

It will get longer. My list is a mere 50 items in just over a year, not very much left in the wallet!

I've had my scope since this july, so far the size of the subsequent shopping list may force me to actually sell a kidney if I dont get chance to do some observing very shortly.

I cut my lifestyle to the bone to buy astronomy equipment. 3 more eyepieces, couple of filters & 12v power supply for dew heaters, then I'm done equipment wise. The only money that will be spent on astronomy from then on will be on books.

No you're never done equipment wise, you just think you are  :p

I always think, as long as it is sensible in the scheme of everything else, life goes on normally, nothing wrong with spending on a hobby. If you are wealthy you can spend loads, if not you just have to accept what you get or can afford. I am sure there are many astronomers that get by on a small budget and will be happier in the hobby compared to some that have a garage full of equipment and will never be satisfied with it.  IMO Life and astronomy,  it is not all about money, assuming I'll go bankrupt before starting out or fearing it will happen,  perhaps it says something more about the person if they let that happen :tongue:

Remember also that there are many out there much "poorer" than us, some happier probably living in the rain forest in tents  and huts, and think stars are gods looking down on them  :D, some will never see the stars through a telescope or will have any such luxuries in life, it is always worth bearing in mind.  Anyone posting here that has the time and owns the technology to do so, in that case, you are probably not in too bad a position in life most likely  :smiley:

My sheds full of astro stuff. All obtained from the net so costs been kept down( sort of)And if its cloudy I can still sit in it. Have a beer and let my ears recover from swmbo . best bit of kit is the mark one eyeball and a blanket to lie on somewhere with dark skies. OK the mag is not good but its the ultimate fov and no cool down needed ;)

As I newbie, I have also seen the danger of cloudy skies.

I havent even used my scope yet and keep looking at things to buy to improve it even though I dont know what the scope is like.

Luckily I havent gone silly and only purchased a Sealey 12v power pack and electrical gubbings to make myself a motorized focus.

My sheds full of astro stuff. All obtained from the net so costs been kept down( sort of)And if its cloudy I can still sit in it. Have a beer and let my ears recover from swmbo . best bit of kit is the mark one eyeball and a blanket to lie on somewhere with dark skies. OK the mag is not good but its the ultimate fov and no cool down needed ;)

.. and with a few beers the star count can increase drastically and make them look even more interesting, and by the time focus is gone I know I had too many, no packing up and close the eyelids in a milliseconds. The no scope, pack up and go package, arguably the best scope there is, all that at no cost :0)

Archived