Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starguiders vs Vixen NPL

ScottS

Just wondering how people find these different models of EP's as a side by side comparison. Other than the Vixens being a tad cheaper, is there much in it overall? I know it's a bit of a vague question, but I'm just wondering if it's worth looking at getting a Vixen EP just to try something different (I've got a 12 - 15mm gap to fill). The Starguiders I have at the moment are excellent by the way, so it may be a case of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Also, are the Starguiders 2 group, 4 element Plossls as well?

Thanks.

I have four Starguiders/Explorers and a 30mm NPL. In my 200P there is little difference to my eyes, both giving sharp stars across the field of view. 

The BSTs have a 60 degree apparent FOV, whereas the NPLs are 50 degrees. I think you are right in saying that the BSTs are a two group, four element design but I don't think they are a Plossl. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

If you already have BSTs then it would make sense to get a 12mm and/or a 15mm to go with the others. The NPLs are solid performers, but an extra 10 degrees aFOV is always nice.

Gareth 

Hi Scott,

The Starguiders are not plossls - they have more glass elements in them. In the 12mm-15mm range they also have more eye relief than a plossl of the same focal length so will be more comfortable to view through and their larger field of view will be more immersive. The Vixen NPL's are nice plossls but you might find the Starguiders a bit more satisfying overall.

I'm based at Portishead by the way so not too far from yourself I guess.

Hi Scott,

The Starguiders are not plossls - they have more glass elements in them. In the 12mm-15mm range they also have more eye relief than a plossl of the same focal length so will be more comfortable to view through and their larger field of view will be more immersive. The Vixen NPL's are nice plossls but you might find the Starguiders a bit more satisfying overall.

Just out of interest John, have you ever tried any of the BSTs and if so what did you think?

Hi Scott,

Ahh, I see. Thanks. I'm in Whitchurch.

Just out of interest John, have you ever tried any of the BSTs and if so what did you think?

I've looked through a couple at a star party and thought they were pretty good but I've not owned any. The feedback on this forum on the BST Explorers / Starguiders is overwhelmingly positive so I reckon they must be a "safe bet"  :smiley:

I agree with AndyWB on the 30mm NPL though - it's a nice low power 1.25" eyepiece. At 30mm the plossl design has plenty of eye relief too.

In terms of overall quality these are both good eyepiece series in the < £50 niche. 

I had the BSTs and liked them well enough, but there are a pair of 16mm Maxvision SWAs in the classifieds at the moment. If 16mm isn't stretching the 12-15mm requirement too far, they're in a different class, as long as you don't wear glasses - The SWA eye relief is a touch tight compared to a BST.

Russell

The BST's are more parfocal then plossl's are so less focus adjustment when changing eyepiece - very useful.

They have a (more or less) fixed eye relief, so easier to get your eye at the right place, helped by wind up eye cups.

Your scope could be f/5 and that tends to be where plossl's start to become boarder line, the BST's are generally reckoned to have no problems at f/5. I would expected Vixens to be OK however.

I had Starguiders 5 and 18mm, very good eyepieces. I'm only sold the 5mm because my main scope now is a mak180 (2700mm FL) and I'm change my set to orthoscopics/Hyperions, but I'm thinking in keep the 18mm.

I have a reasonable selection of both the vixens and the BST's. To be fair I don't think there is too much between them, maybe to a better experienced and trained eye than mine someone may be able to pick one over the other but to me the views are pretty similar, certainly better than any stock eyepieces. The BST's are more comfortable to use, and below 20mm the vixens don't have a wind up eyecup. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the brands, I intend to complete my set of BST's and will probably do the same with the vixen's, just because i'm a little OCD about having complete sets of things!

My 30mm Vixen is very well used though, really nice eyepiece for the price.

I cannot comment on the vixens but can on the BST`s i have the 18,8 and 5mm in an F5 scope and i wear glasses they are brilliant eyepieces for the money  i am going to get the rest of the set i have a 32mm plossl which is good but i do need a better low mag eyepiece with good eye relief.

Ive never used a Starguider EP, but i own three Vixen NPL's and absolutely love them. They are affordable, but more importantly the offer great contrast and sharpness across the FOV. Others prefer the BST's which cost roughly the same (i think) and apparently offer better eye relief. To be honest i have never had a problem with the eye relief of the NPL's.

I own a 8mm,15mm and 30mm NPL. 

Archived