Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6992 Eastern Veil Nebula

WaveSoarer

I've been exploring the Veil nebula with my telescope with an OIII filter in place and really enjoying my observing time. More recently I've been doing some imaging in the Cygnus region and while the camera clicks away I've been doing some observing with my binoculars. While on a sailing trip last week with my wife and my in-laws we had a very clear night on Loch Sween when I really appreciated taking my binoculars with me. The sky was very dark and M31 was easily seen with naked eyes and M33 was also very clearly visible in the bins. I then had a look for the East and West parts of the Veil nebula and thought that I could just about see traces of the Eastern section. The West side wasn't obvious though it's more clearly marked by 52Cyg and I had to concede that I couldn't see it with my bins. I was out imaging the Eastern limb of the Veil nebula last night, from my back garden, and I used by bins to look in the same region. Sure enough, there was a faint curved glow in just the right place in the backdrop of faint stars. I thought that it would be a real struggle with my 10 x 50s, especially as the Western limb is pretty much invisible in the telescope without the OIII filter, but I was really astonished at how unmissable it was. I'm still a little surprised that the Western limb, The Witches Broom, wasn't visible with the binoculars as it doesn't seem to be that much fainter than the Eastern limb through the telescope. Does anyone else find it to be like this?

Incidentally, observing from a boat with a good set of binoculars is a real treat. On the West coast of Scotland there are some very nice anchorages with completely dark skies. Fantastic. You can even do some bird watching during the day.

Nice report, you can't beat a dark sky and binos for certain objects like M33 and M101.

I've had exactly the same experiences with the Veil as you report, I use Canon 15 x 50 is binos and am able to attach filters to them. I find the Eastern part significantly easier than the Western in binoculars to the point where in binoculars under the reasonable conditions its normally only the Eastern part that's visible. I can't recall if I've ever seen the Western Veil in the binos, will have a check back and see.

Cheers,

Stu

Yes, not sure how common this is but the canons I've got have threaded apertures. I have got a couple of reducing rings which take these down to 2" (M48?) so I can use standard astro filters on them. I only have one UHC-S and one OIII filter which is not ideal, two UHC-S would probably be better, but I do think they make a difference in being able to see the Veil, and the NA nebula.

Stu

Thanks for your observations. I've been looking for the eastern section in binoculars over the last week but had no success. I did manage a few tentative glimpses in the telescope last night and will try with the 10x50s again.

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip.

andrew

Stu. Thanks for this. I didn't realise that filters could be fitted to binoculars.

The Helios Apollo 15x70 has threaded eyepieces for standard 1.25" filters. Not entirely satisfactory (eyelash grease gets on them) but better than my old method of just holding a UHC over an eyepiece.

Thanks all. Yes we did have a very enjoyable trip and my in-laws were thrilled to get their first views of the Andromeda galaxy. I was dark enough to see it extend out quite a long way. Thanks for the information on the filters also. Very interesting.

Dave

Archived