Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula Mosaic - 17 Hrs of Ha and Oiii

Xiga

Hi guys

After processing the Eastern & Wastern Veils separately a couple of months back, I've finally got round to doing the mosaic that was always the end goal (hence the framing of each panel). I'm not sure why I waited so long to do it, I think deep-down I was secretly dreading it really, as this is my first mosaic so I wasn't really sure how it would go.

So this is just 2 panels, and each one has 5 hrs of Ha (15 x 1200s), with 3 hrs 20 mins of Oiii in one (10 x 1200s) and 3 hrs 40 mins of Oiii (11 x 1200s) in the other. So 17 hrs in total.

APP was used for stacking, gradient reduction, and the mosaic creation. PS used for everything else.

Ha assigned to Red, Oiii to Blue, and Green was synthesized from one of Carboni's actions.

I've tried to push it as far as I dare to, did I over-do it do you think? I've resized it down to 66% to help hide some of the noise, and being a mosaic it's still plenty big. I might even end up bringing it down to 50%, we'll see.

C&C welcome as always. I tend to finish my images very late at night, so I can sometimes fall into the trap of not seeing the image as clearly as I should! So feel free to be as harsh as you like ?

Veil Nebula Mosaic.jpg

I too tend to process late at night and probably post too early, I should look at them again in the cold light of day.

However, I  cannot be harsh with this image, it’s  beautifully framed, and on the the scale you chosen there is nice crisp detail and good colour balance.

I would love to have a go at imaging the entire Veil like this, but it would be a 16 panel mosaic with my set up.

4 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's wonderful. ?

Not over done at all. Worth leaving an image sit when you think you're done and come back fresh eyed.

Thanks Richard. And good advice. Advice I should heed more often than I do, lol 

3 hours ago, RichLD said:

Wonderful image, well done!

2 hours ago, tomato said:

I too tend to process late at night and probably post too early, I should look at them again in the cold light of day.

However, I  cannot be harsh with this image, it’s  beautifully framed, and on the the scale you chosen there is nice crisp detail and good colour balance.

I would love to have a go at imaging the entire Veil like this, but it would be a 16 panel mosaic with my set up.

Thanks guys ?

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

A stunner Ciaran.  The framing is excellent and processing top notch.  Can I ask, did SGP help with the mosaic framing?

Thank you Adam. 

Oh boy does SGP help with mosaics! It's so simple. It shows you the sky view of the target and all you do is draw a rectangle over the area you want to capture. It then converts them into the right no. of tiles for you. Each tile then shows up as it's own target, which can be platesolved and rotated to on any given night. As you can see from my one above, I didn't have much room for error on either side. And even though it took me 4 nights to capture the frames, there was very little lost data near the edges. 

You don't even need a fancy rotator. SGP tells you how many degrees to rotate your focuser. It usually only takes me about 5 minutes to get within about 0.5 degrees accuracy. It's worth every penny! 

Archived