Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad Riser Base

Hi Guys,

I have my eyes on getting a Telrad and I can see there are risers for them - 2'' and 4''. For my SW 300p Flextube, which one would you suggest to buy? For better eye relief I would think 4'' is better, but isn't it too much?

Telrads work best if you look through them with both eyes open, but using the dominant eye inline, if you are right eye dominant and use the scope from the right the four inch allows your head room without banging it. if you use it from the left then a 2 inch is fine. I am left eye dominant and use on the right so a low riser is all I need. Hope that made sence......

I have used both on my 300p flextube and to be honest either would enhance comfort and be of practical benefit.

I became a bit obsessed with scope balance in that I wanted to avoid using counter weights. Replacing the focuser for a light weight Moonlite CR1 and removing the unused finder helped, as did opting for the 2" riser. However they do not weigh much and the weight variation is negligible, so I would opt for the 4". I found that my 2" riser is great on my fork mounted SCT anyhow, so is still in service.

I have the 4" on my 12" f4 and this is great. I'd think the 2" would be fine on the 12" f5 but either would be OK. one consideration, talking of balance is that the 4" riser brings the telrad a little further away from the centre of the tube and therefore near the zenith makes balance a little more critical (in that it can make the scope rise to vertical) but it may just be an idiosyncracy of my scope (and I am talking about when I use it with a paracorr, heavy eyepiece and a 9x50 RACI and telrad / riser. plus it's a short tube. not often a problem though to be honest and the neckache it saves is great. a much better option than a mirrored dew shield +

I got the 300P Flextube just the other day and along with it a Telrad and 2" riser. Will try that combo out tonight when the scope has cooled down a bit. I like the Telrad alot with my 6" but it's without a riser on that scope. Going to be interesting to see how it works.

Thanks for replies! Have received my Telrad and 4'' riser. Still have to figure out where and how correctly to place it on the scope :smiley:

When I first received my Telrad i temporarily fixed it to my scope using masking tape until I was happy with the position.

Archived