Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last of the clear nights

Pig

Well we have been quite spoilt this week in Northants 3 great nights viewing on the trot, I have managed to see some great diamond like sparkling stars :laugh:

Now it looks like it is all about to end with some very grey and wet conditions on the way :sad: on the bright side it might clear the air.

So what am I going to do to keep occupied ? probably spend lots of cash on astro gear :grin:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was clear here but a bit murky, especially later in the evening. I packed up about 10.30 last night as I started to get a hazy ring around Alberio which I presume was due to dew. Good to be out though, I'm resisting the temptation to spend for a week or two. :laugh:

Monday was a fantastic night with the scope, but I have been night riding on my MTB with friends the last two nights and as we sat outside drinking beer mid ride at 10pm I was looking up at the sky and thinking, one more night... please.

I've been out until silly o'clock the last three nights and as it's "back to school" week there's not been much of a lie-in at the other end of the day either. I can't honestly deny that I wouldn't mind a few cloudy nights to allow me to catch up on some sleep :)

On the other hand, it wouldn't take a big change in the forecast for it to be clear again tonight. If that happens, I shan't be getting tucked up in bed early :D

James

We've had a run of "clear" nights here too. The quotes are because there's so much gunk in the air that the sky's been very orange, even at the zenith, LVM about 2.5.

I hate London and it's pollution (Light and air) and all the builder's dust hanging around reflecting the lights that are pointing straight up.

Still, there's some heavy rain forecast which might clear the air (And wash all the gunk on to my car, argh)

3 on the trot here as well. Sleep deprivation is tough by 3pm (sat in a meeting yesterday was a real challenge, somebody pass the match sticks) but I will still be out tonight if the forecast changes.

I wonder how this behaviour compares with that of someone with an addiction? :D

James

on the bright side - since January this year the longest single period that we have had cloud outs - so non observable - is only 9 days so if it rains this weekend - get your sleep in and you should be good to go next weekend if history keeps repeating itself :grin:

Well we have been quite spoilt this week in Northants 3 great nights viewing on the trot, I have managed to see some great diamond like sparkling stars :laugh:

Now it looks like it is all about to end with some very grey and wet conditions on the way :sad: on the bright side it might clear the air.

So what am I going to do to keep occupied ? probably spend lots of cash on astro gear :grin:

I'm in Northants too and yes, it has been rather good. May get some breaks in the cloud tonight.

The met office, well, autie beeb reporting the met office, says it will be clear tonight here too, but I'm not holding my breath.

The rule in London seems to be that a clear night immediately after rain is pretty good, but then the gack builds up and visibility just goes down hill. And of course, the longer it is between rain and a clear night, the less clear it is.

The rule in London seems to be that a clear night immediately after rain is pretty good, but then the gack builds up and visibility just goes down hill. And of course, the longer it is between rain and a clear night, the less clear it is.

I don't think that's peculiar to London, to be honest. I've noticed it from time to time out here in the back of beyond, too.

James

The sooner I can get out of London the better.

Over the summer holls I had forgotten just how noxious the Picadillay line can be. Urch!

I can see the haze just looking down the road where I work. It's 30 deg and humid, we need that heavy rain forcast for tomorrow.

I've been out until silly o'clock the last three nights and as it's "back to school" week there's not been much of a lie-in at the other end of the day either. I can't honestly deny that I wouldn't mind a few cloudy nights to allow me to catch up on some sleep :)

On the other hand, it wouldn't take a big change in the forecast for it to be clear again tonight. If that happens, I shan't be getting tucked up in bed early :D

James

I lasted two of the three nights. Last night could have been another great one, but having had some beers earlier in the evening and a take away ( a plan the missus made, how could she, so I am not to blame :D ), it was sufficiently sleep inducing that I fell asleep, probably a good thing.

Lately I planed my sessions so I sleep before hand and actually start around 3 AM or so, so I can observe M35, M36, M37, M38 M45 etc and a host of things, and Jupiter to cap it all off. Marvelous :D

I lasted two of the three nights. Last night could have been another great one, but having had some beers earlier in the evening and a take away ( a plan the missus made, how could she, so I am not to blame :D ), it was sufficiently sleep inducing that I fell asleep, probably a good thing.

Lately I planed my sessions so I sleep before hand and actually start around 3 AM or so, so I can observe M35, M36, M37, M38 M45 etc and a host of things, and Jupiter to cap it all off. Marvelous :D

I have planned to sleep early and wake up early but it all goes pear shaped when the time comes to actually get up, I end up staying in bed anyhow. :grin: So now I just don't go to bed until I'm done observing.

Archived