Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The APM 7.1" Triplet Apo - First Proper Pictures

DirkSteele

I have been promising a number of threads on this new acquisition for quite some time, but real life has really got in the way over the last couple of months. Anyway, finally things are starting to clear so i can be a bit more active on SGL again, and I thought I would start by posting the first proper picture of my new APM LZOS 180mm (7.1") F/7 Triplet Apo refractor mounted on the APM AltAz Max Load mount and a Losmandy G11 tripod. In my hand is my travel scope, the APM TMB 105mm (4") F/6.2 triplet for scale. Despite weighing about 23kg including the rings, it was easier than I thought to lift onto the mount. Oh, and that is 3 x 8kg counterweights on the shaft.

post-24651-0-79866300-1378328400_thumb.j post-24651-0-01208300-1378328675_thumb.j

Clear Skies,

Superb Matthew, absolutely superb :smiley:

I'll be very interested in your views of the APM AltAz Max Load mount as it's on my list of possibilities to carry my 6" F/12 Istar achromat which is 17 kg but a somewhat longer tube than your 7.1".

I just love these large refractors on simple but solid alt-az mounts :grin:

I will put some pictures up shortly of the mount (definitely deserves its own thread) and share some thoughts on the performance as well as a review once it has been used thoroughly.

Thanks Matthew.

I'm really impressed with the APM 180 too, I ought to add - it's just that there is very little information out there on these mega-capacity alt-az mounts :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been promising a number of threads on this new acquisition for quite some time, but real life has really got in the way over the last couple of months. Anyway, finally things are starting to clear so i can be a bit more active on SGL again, and I thought I would start by posting the first proper picture of my new APM LZOS 180mm (7.1") F/7 Triplet Apo refractor mounted on the APM AltAz Max Load mount and a Losmandy G11 tripod. In my hand is my travel scope, the APM TMB 105mm (4") F/6.2 triplet for scale. Despite weighing about 23kg including the rings, it was easier than I thought to lift onto the mount. Oh, and that is 3 x 8kg counterweights on the shaft.

attachicon.gifthe 7.1 inch Triplet Apo.jpg attachicon.gifAPM 180mm Pic 2.jpg

Clear Skies,

Were you at AstroCamp ?!!!

So....how was it???? :-) Have you done a report on observing with it yet? Do the views live up to expectations? Must be amazing.

I have aspirations for TEC140 or similar in the future when I can mortgage a child off or some other money making scheme ;-).

Stu

The short answer was incredible.  Exceeded my expectations.  Unfortunately work has been very busy of late which is not leaving me much free time, but I hope to post some more detailed thoughts in due course.

The TEC scopes are wonderful as well so highly recommend you work on that mortgage application!  :grin:

The short answer was incredible.  Exceeded my expectations.  Unfortunately work has been very busy of late which is not leaving me much free time, but I hope to post some more detailed thoughts in due course.

The TEC scopes are wonderful as well so highly recommend you work on that mortgage application!  :grin:

Good to hear, I suppose it would be very disappointing if you've spent all that money on a scope and it doesn't give wonderful views :).

Looking forward to some reports of viewing :).

The short answer was incredible. Exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately work has been very busy of late which is not leaving me much free time, but I hope to post some more detailed thoughts in due course.

The TEC scopes are wonderful as well so highly recommend you work on that mortgage application! :grin:

Fantastic news, very pleased it has been worth the investment for you. Must be a bit nerve wracking having committed to it until you finally see the results!

Look forward to hearing more about it.

Cheers,

Stu

Archived