NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everyone

someguy

Hello all, i'm Someguy from Newcastle upon tyne - a very light polluted and cloudy place which isn't a good place to live if you want to see the stars, anyway i've been reading through the lounge for the past few days and decided to join in properly cos i'm a bit of a noob at astronomy and have lots to learn.

I have a telescope i bought a few years ago and never really got to use it properly i only know its a celestron reflector but thats about all i know about it so maybe you guys can help me work out what it is and how to use it right. I also have a Nikon 5000 dslr for AP ( im dying to get a shot of the milky way), also stellarium for pc and other astronomy apps for my mobile phone, i'm slowly building up my kit now that i'm working full time.

Clear skies everyone (and for me time off to see them)

Welcome to SGL

You can get an image of the Milky Way without a telescope at all. Just the camera and kit lens on a tripod should be good enough. If you experiment around the 20s to 30s exposure timeframe you should be able to get images without trailing stars that are suitable for stacking.

It's probably more important to get out of Newcastle away from the light pollution.

James

Hi and welcome. For a milky way shot your probably best with a wide angle camera lens... something like a 17mm. Keep it wide open (f2.8 or wider if you can) with long exposures (30s plus). With a wide lens like this you can get away with a stationary tripod too.

Hi There,

Good advice above regarding 'making every photon count' that will save you hard earned cash in the long run. Also try a copy of 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' that along with your copy stellarium will guide you round the sky.

If you need help with your scope you will need to give some details about it as Celestron make umpteen scopes!.

The details should be on the scope somewhere, look for model number , diameter and focal length, that will give us a better idea of what you have.

Thank you all for the welcome messages!

I'll post a few shots of the telescope soon as i dig it out but i'm sure it only has the celestron logo on it and no other markings. I'll also post some shots i've taken so far with just my camera and i'll definately look into buying the book making every photon count. thanks for the advice.

Archived