Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Persieds Tonight

Look at the double cluster in Perseus, that is about where they will appear to originate from.

If this makes sense: The 2 stars that make up the right hand bit of the shallow V in Cassiopeia point down to the double cluster.

Possibly easier "below" and to the left of Cassiopeia.

Apologies for the "how to find bit" I read your post as "How do I look towards Perseus."

My only excuse is the smell of chocolate chip cookies I am making, very distracting and need removing from the oven.

Hoping for some better views tonight. Was out last night but it was too cloudy. :sad: Then my youngest got up with a bad dream at 3am so when he was settled I had a quick peek out in the garden and saw 5 or 6 in 10 mins :laugh: . My neighbours would have thought i was crazy; lying on the garden swing in my pj's at 3am! Hopefully see some more tonight ( a little more warmly dressed!)

Think the best times are after midnight

Fingers crossed for clear skies

Had a fantastic view tonight! Didn't know where i was looking other than up lied on my back on our cold concrete path and saw what must have been 20-30 in an hour, some real impressive trails! Not all coming from Cassiopeia.

I also saw a few bats, a few slow moving 'objects' near the zenith but a reminder to self to get some midge repellent!

Strange. I had a good hour under really dark skies here in Norfolk and only saw two meteors, both of which were definitely not Perseids. For me, the most disappointing Perseid show ever. Probably better after 1am, but it's bedtime for me.

Had a brilliant 90 mins out there! Seen about 25 in that time, some of them really big! Loving the 'trails' that they leave behind... Even if they are only visible for a couple of seconds...

Only come inside to warm up - it's a bit breezy out there! Just going to have a cuppa and a blueberry muffin and then I'm going back out... At least until the clouds roll in!

Anyone see that HUGE Perseid around 11.30pm? Stretched from Cassiopea to Cygnus!

Yeah! Is that the one that left a greenish glowing trail that lasted a good five seconds? I got a partial pic of it too (went out of frame at the end). Ill post it tomorrow. There was a good one earlier in the same direction too that I got. I found periods where not much happened and then periods where maybe 3 a minute shot past in the same direction. All in all I enjoyed tonight :)

Yeah! Is that the one that left a greenish glowing trail that lasted a good five seconds? I got a partial pic of it too (went out of frame at the end). Ill post it tomorrow. There was a good one earlier in the same direction too that I got. I found periods where not much happened and then periods where maybe 3 a minute shot past in the same direction. All in all I enjoyed tonight :)

Yeah that was the one, the trail was that long my head wouldn't go back any further lol Looked like a long fizzing firework

Was out between 11 and 11:30 last night and saw 3 very brief trails - a bit disappointing. Never mind, I thought, I'll put my alarm on for 4 in the morning and see what's happening, as pre-dawn is supposed to be the best time. I put the alarm on my bedside cabinet, just to vibrate so that it didn't wake the wife.

I slept through it...

Last night was clear. Plenty of meteors. There was five minutes of nothing then two or three in a minute.

They didnt just come from perseus. There were a few that flew through other areas. A couple of great ones through the plough.

I just layed flat on my back for one hour pointing north from 11:30 to 12:30. A very enjoyable hour.

We had a drive up onto some moorland near our home at around 1145 to a dark spot. There was one car parked up already so we were tempted to drive on,but decided to risk it. Then another car arrived with a family on board and broke out the flasks...phew. Perfect clear skies and in 40 minutes or so counted 25+ Perseids,3 satellites and magical views of the Milky Way. It was a bit colder than we expected so maybe the pyjamas and dressing gowns weren't the best idea!

Archived