Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseid Meteor Shower 11/8/13

Matthew

Just a heads up to everyone, Abergavenny Astronomy Society are holding an observing session at Blaenavon on Sunday 11th August to coincide with the peek of the perseids.For anyone who has not attended before here are the site co-ordinates +51° 47' 25.57", -3° 4' 10.74". The last time they used the site for the Venus transit it was packed ( people were parking on the access road ) so i would advise you arrive early.All being well i will be there.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll try and be there. What time do you suggest getting there to secure a spot. I was hoping to get there by 20.00.

8 pm should be fine .i will be there with nick from aber astro should be a good one suty

I'm hoping to set up early, chill out in my chase lounge, and have a chat with the horses till people show up. :grin:

Edit: Probably going to get crowded in the parking lot, so 7 PM might be a good time to get there for a prime place to park.

Cool if the weather holds might pop over for some sunset shots and then stop for a while and try and get some meteors ....... though tomorrow i might go to the CAS observatory event for the peak

must remember to pack my chair.

was setting up the scope two night ago to try some shots using the PHD, clouded over just as I was focusing on Vega but just before the clouds closed in saw a super meteor.

it was only 9:30 so not even dark, just dusk but it shot from North to South to the East of me. So if you get anything like that tonight you are in for a treat.

Happy hunting guys, will be in the garden tonight weather permitting.

Pat

Good to see some old friends and new last night at Blaenavon. pity the clouds came and spoilt it

tonight, weather permitting i am going to the CAS event at Dyffryn gardens Gates open by 10PM Weather permitting of course. keep an eye on their website to see if it is on or not on front page under Dave's star party http://www.cardiff-a...-society.co.uk/

The cloud cover got worse as darkness approached, and hung in there throughout the evening. There were about 20 0f us who came up for the show, including 8 of the regular group who set up scopes. By about 10 pm we decided to call it quits and pack up, still, it was nice to get out, spend time up at the site, and get reacquainted with some fellow observers. :smiley:

Yes... despite the clouds and the stiff chilly breeze, it was good to meet up again with old and new friends. Very enjoyable few hours. :smiley:

I will be watching the CAS forecast for Dyffryn Grns and hopefully get there.

i got to the CAS Event and ended up in the observatory all evening ( not complaining mind you) got to see loads and even caught one of two meteors. left the site at 2:45 an enjoyable weekend in all

Well I managed to go to blaenavon for the first time, arrived about 8:30 very cloudy looked like rain but decided to stick it out. Having some funny looks off the cars that were there (quite a few youngsters). Anyway by 10 o,clock it started raining people were comming and going and we were pondering whether to call it a day when a break came in the clouds. I set up my camera and started taking pictures by now the skies were really clearing and more and more people turned up and chatted to a few. After 30 shots I moved my camera and fired off loads more really enjoyed myself. Now the bad bit when I got home I had somehow managed to hit the settings dial on my camera when I moved it and I had 180 blank photos DOH, all in all it was an experience and one I enjoyed next time though warmer jumper warmer hat and gloves, even in August it was freezing up there.

Very clear skies here again last night. Stepped outside to check on the clouds and caught the ISS going over. Good omen I thought. :grin:

At 00.45 a corker of a meteor passed directly overhead, leaving a smoke trail seen for about 5sec. The best one all night. Seen about 6 in all. Very enjoyable.

thanks to one and all who turned out sunday ! pity the weather didnt play ball!! nice to see my my old mate graham again, i was out last night and from 0015am to 0115am counted 43 meteors, and the sky was superb great views of the veil and dumbell ! see you all soon stuy

I live in Caerphilly, popped out the garden at 11 until 12. The sun lounger come to use,haha. It was perfect timing as the skies cleared. All in all I saw 24

& also saw the ISS. There were 3 or 4 bigger 1's which had the :shocked: factor.

Archived