Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-142 / NGC 7380 Wizard Nebula

x6gas

I've procrastinated over whether to post this as I am not completely happy with this image. The data capture was beset with problems - it's not been an easy task picking up the odd sub between the clouds when you don't have a permanent setup and there wasn't much signal in the [OIII] even with 20 minute subs.

I was originally intending to do HaRGB on this target - and I really think it needs the RGB given the richness of the star field so I still intend to capture broadband colour channels at some point. However, my filter wheel is playing up and has scuppered the colour for now.

Anyway, this is NGC 7380, the Wizard Nebula. This process is a bit of an experiment for me as I have synthesized a H-beta signal from the the H-alpha for the blue channel, so it's not quite a straight bi-colour and not quite the Hubble palette.

After even more procrastination I've left a bit of green in the nebula. I know that this is not always appreciated, but I figure not only that [OIII] emits in the greeny/blue part of the spectrum but more importantly I found it quite difficult to get good contrast and lost some when I took the green out completely.

Data: Ha - 16 x 1200s (Atik 490ex); [OIII] - 16 x 1200s (Atik 460ex)

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85ED

Mount: CGEM DX

Guiding: Atik OAG, QHY IMG0H, PHD

gallery_11821_2457_1951334.png

Thanks for looking, Ian

I know we are always our own worst critic and can understand how you may not be entirely happy with what you have got, but I think that is an excellent image. I am sure that once you capture the RGB signals it will be truly outstanding!

Members who post images like yours inspire those of us who are just starting out with astronomy and particularly AP. So please keep posting your images as it gives us something to aim for.

Nice rendition Ian.

will indeed benefit from RGB.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, needs the RGB and I think I would have benefited from the extra focal length of my SCT for this as it has turned out. The idea of using the Tak was to get a nice wide field but it hasn't really worked without the RGB...

I know we are always our own worst critic and can understand how you may not be entirely happy with what you have got, but I think that is an excellent image. I am sure that once you capture the RGB signals it will be truly outstanding!

Members who post images like yours inspire those of us who are just starting out with astronomy and particularly AP. So please keep posting your images as it gives us something to aim for.

Thanks Bryan. I have learned so much in the past couple of years - most of it from SGL members - but I don't always remember to apply it! My disappointment with this image is that I think it should be better with my kit and given that I have 10 hours of data. Anyway, forecast to be clear tomorrow so might get that RGB!

A very nice rendition of this target Ian - you've pulled out some lovely detail especially in the 'pockets' of the nebulosity, and have a nice colour palette to match as well - great work.

Martin

Thanks Martin - appreciate it, but very humble given the terrific images you've been posting. I know I can do more on the processing side, but surprised that the data doesn't seem keener to give up its secrets!

I think you've done well with it, creating the synthetic colour layer I find can be very hit and miss indeed, it never comes out as I think it should. I reckon that chuck a load of SII in there and as a genuine HST palette that will be really lifted. The false colour is a personal preference to be sure, mine preference doesn't include green, but you can do it however you like. Sometimes liberating, and sometimes it gives you so many opportunities that your eyes go squiffy and your brain explodes!!!

Archived