Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planisphere, is it worth it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on this is that if you know most of the constellations and can get around the sky then a planisphere may not be useful. Then use stellarium or smartphone apps for planning or assisting viewing sessions. However, if somebody does not know the constellations and do not know how the sky works then a planisphere will be useful.

My first astro purchase was a Phillips planisphere back in the 80s when I was about 7. Got it from WH Smiths with my pocket money. It fascinated me.

Got another one last year. I do use it occasionally, although I now have the sky safari pro app which can be used in night vision mode. I use the app for alignment, as it gives me precise time and date info on the screen, as well as the ability to see where the planets are. I know that sounds daft but I go through phases of several months without observing at all........and forget where things are. Planisphere doesn't do planets of course.

theyre cheap and cheerful and have some benefits over an app. Namely you can quickly check ahead to see what will be showing in your area at a given time, say six months ahead. Also a quick and easy way to learn constellations and the relative positions. Given the price I don't see how anyone could say they're not particularly useful or worth having.

I needed it when I was trying to locate exact position of Andromeda at the time of gazing. I knew where roughly it should be, but to find the M31 and M110, I had to exactly locate the position of it in the sky.

Setting the date and time, and looking up for the Constellation, Planisphere was the best tool to do it. Simple and straight forward. It would be nicer if it glowed and were larger scaled one.

A planisphere is 'yesterday' and 'today' is destroying your night vision with a screen? :grin: Give me yesterday! No serious visual observer that I know would take a screen out observing. In fact they tend to go nuts if someone lights a cigarette three miles away. A planisphere is a simple 'whole sky' tool designed to let you see what's up and when. It does this superbly. If you want to learn the whole sky and see how it will evolve in the night, poking your mobile phone at Arcturus is not the way forward.

Too many gadgets, not enough looking. (When imaging I'm doomed to damnable gadgets but I don't want them when doing visual. In visual activities Bill Gates can't get me. Yah boo, Billy Boy!!!)

Olly

I suppose it depends on what you mean by serious visual observer. I use a screen and see a.lot more than I would without it. I enjoy it and it helps me. Where I am, night vision is a bit meaningless because there is a constant light throughout the night, but I still enjoy what is essentially a hobby. So I do seriously observe but I'm a light hearted observer,

I like the planisphere as well, but the font on my standard Phillips one is too small for me. I should buy a larger one.

• 1 month later...

Been doing my homework and it seems that there are two types - white stars on black background (Philips) and dark stars on light background (Chandler).

Before I spend my money on either, would any experienced members care to comment on merits of the two different approaches?

Ive got THREE of them. Two arrived when I purchased  the Celestron 127EQ last Month, with a bundle of books, then because the larger of the two will expire next Year? I decided to  use my WHSmith 20% discount voucher to get the latest variant.  This one glows in the dark. I was mislead at first, as I thought the perimeter of the Planisphere should glow (you`ll see what I mean if you get one, but its only the actual Star map that glows, and quite nicely too. You can un-button the overlay to "Charge" the map by exposure to bright light. also comes with a  book, Exploring Stars and Planets. Ive got the Google Star Maps on the Android, but kills your vision, even on the night mode!

I use the star maps out of monthly astro mags with a red light.  I find they are a bit bigger and more detailed than planisphere, as well as being simpler to use. Despite being tech savvy and working in IT, I don't really like using the Sky Map apps (tried Google and SkyEye).  My problem with the apps is that light bleed and brightness from laptop or phone ruins night vision, even if the app is in night vision mode. I also find the constellation lines used by these apps to be a pain in the neck -  they seem bizarre and don't tally up with what I see in the sky!

I think the ideal would be Stellarium or Cartes Du Ciel running on a laptop or tablet which doesn't wreck night vision. However I haven't found such a device yet :( Stellarium is awesome nonetheless, I don't take it out in the field but it is fantastic for planning star hops.

Here's my opinion(s)

The Pros

1. The 'Phillips' ones are laminated.

2. Lightweight.

3. No power source.

4. Does not ruin your dark adapted eyes/vision.

5. Does not crash like a PC/Mac/Android app.

6. Does not require an internet connection.

7. Does not mind getting Jaffa Cake crumbs and liquid beverages poured over it.

8. Inexpensive to replace.

The Cons

1. Only availabe for a given latitude window.

2. Lack of connectivity to PC/Mac/Android device.

3. Lack of connectivity to certain mounts.

4. Small font(s).

...have I forgotten anything!

Thank you guys - appreciate all the comments

My question wasn't whether to use planisphere? and what alternatives are better?

I was hoping to compare Philips ve Chandler and why should I buy one or the other.

I believe Philips is larger than Chandler? making it possibly easier for an old fart to see?

In theory one could use Philips without torch? (because it glows?), but does it work in practice?

I like the idea of larger map from astro mags but I am not going to take out subscription just for that :smiley:

Thank you guys - appreciate all the comments

My question wasn't whether to use planisphere? and what alternatives are better?

I was hoping to compare Philips ve Chandler and why should I buy one or the other.

I believe Philips is larger than Chandler? making it possibly easier for an old fart to see?

In theory one could use Philips without torch? (because it glows?), but does it work in practice?

I like the idea of larger map from astro mags but I am not going to take out subscription just for that :smiley:

Given the price of everything in this 'learning hobby', and the relative cost of both planisphere's... perhaps you could buy both and gives us your opinion?  I feel I need a new one so will opt for the Chandler version just to carry out the same comparison.  I tend to use the planisphere to find generally what I am looking for then briefly revert to Stellarium for confirmation... gives me that warm satisfying feeling consistent with a building of confidence when learning anything.

When my friends come around for supper,  I couch the hobby in mystery by using the planisphere to show off my very dubious (non-existent) fluency in astronomy.. I feel the Chandler version will somehow help enhance this narcissistic myth.

Well you fooled me?

emadmoussa, on 04 Aug 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Planisphere, is it worth it?

....... but recently I'm starting to lean towards simplicity in visual observation. I never used a planisphere before, and was wondering about it's usefulness. Any thoughts?..........I saw a glow-in-the-dark version, which I think is a handy bonus.........In theory one could use Philips without torch? (because it glows?), but does it work in practice?

The Glow-In-The-dark, Philip`s Planisphere does work, but its dependant on its light source to `charge` the display. The `overlay` un-buttons to allow the Constellation map to be `charged` with light. How you do this, and when, will affect your night vision, as Luminosity doesnt last for ever. I have the use of a small torch that contains an Ultra-violet tube, so I get an instant charge, without eyes being affected(eyes closed)This planisphere does NOT have the printed instructions on the back, and  like Objectives/Mirrors I think bigger is better for practical reasons.Its also slightly misleading if you get one, because there is lots of`Yellow` print and a `Yellow` border, of which NONE illuminate. ONLY the Star Constellations, and if you`ve ever watched a Watches luminosity decay before you drift off to sleep, you`ll know, that a re-charge often helps?
In practice, you will still need a torch, as its easy to un-align the overlay whilst its in the hands. the ideas great, just needs a little improvement.

Since I started this thread before I went ahead and got myself a Plenisphere, i can say one thing or 2 about them:

I never had it out to look at the sky properly since whenever I go out I usually have a set of targets that I already pinpointed on the Star Atlas.

I found it partcularly useful "off duty" during the day for a quick reminder of constellations. Also, it's good to show the night sky to other people in a simplified manner.

Do I absolutely need it? Not really..but I like to have it around.

To throw something else into the pot: according to Amazon there is a new planisphere due out in November published by the Royal Observatory and the 'author' is the well-respected Will Tirion of Cambridge Star Atlas fame. Must be worth a punt? I've ordered one!

Btw I've had my Philips one for years and it's a great fall back to just quickly see what's 'up' at any particular date and time

Kerry

Another thought: I have wondered about making a mask for the planisphere corresponding to the obstructions visible from my garden. It It would be tricky but easier than trying to do it on an electronic version!

Has anybody done this or should I patent the idea double quick?

Another thought: I have wondered about making a mask for the planisphere corresponding to the obstructions visible from my garden. It It would be tricky but easier than trying to do it on an electronic version!

Was wondering exactly the same, I have a horizon dictated by trees all around my regular viewing area giving me quite a small window on my Planisphere, was trying to work out the best way forward.  A patent wouldn't apply now as the idea has reached the public domain :(

Since I started this thread before I went ahead and got myself a Plenisphere, i can say one thing or 2 about them:

I never had it out to look at the sky properly since whenever I go out I usually have a set of targets that I already pinpointed on the Star Atlas.

I found it partcularly useful "off duty" during the day for a quick reminder of constellations. Also, it's good to show the night sky to other people in a simplified manner.

Do I absolutely need it? Not really..but I like to have it around.

My sentiments entirely!!

"Observer Pro" is a nice app that let's you do that, whilst using your e-planisphere.

Archived