Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planisphere, is it worth it?

In the digital age I tend to use my phone/tablet as a star map as well as printed star Atlas, but recently I'm starting to lean towards simplicity in visual observation. I never used a planisphere before, and was wondering about it's usefulness. Any thoughts?

I saw a glow-in-the-dark version, which I think is a handy bonus.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Celestron one with star maps (glow in dark). It was quite big but manageable. The star charts are very detailed and its all coated (protected). I would say I probably could find objects quicker with it than using software.

They are not the cheapest available but will last for years.

Cheers Carl

Hi emadmoussa

I've had a planisphere for as long as I can remember, they are easy to use for the brightest stars and an easy way to locate all the main constellations. All you do is put the time of day against the date and the picture shows what is in the sky at that time, the hole in the center which everything rotates around is the position of the pole star and the edge nearest 12 noon is the south horizon. For your location in Hampshire the planisphere (which is normally for latitude 51.5 degrees north) is near enough your home location, they are also reasonably cheap. If I lost mine I would have no hesitation in getting another.

Dave

TBH, using it in the dark, it was a bit handful (fiddly) and eyeful (not very visible). So I tend to use it in daytime in my study to learn about major constellation with added imagination - visualising the ceiling as dark sky looking at the Planisphere in turn.

I am now more getting used / attached to the Stellarium program on my PC, so I am planning to get a Netbook to install the app, and take it out to the observing session. Not sure if it is available to install on iPad or Samsung Galaxy Note2. If it is, I don't need a Netbook. Better check it sometime.

TBH, using it in the dark, it was a bit handful (fiddly) and eyeful (not very visible). So I tend to use it in daytime in my study to learn about major constellation with added imagination - visualising the ceiling as dark sky looking at the Planisphere in turn.

I am now more getting used / attached to the Stellarium program on my PC, so I am planning to get a Netbook to install the app, and take it out to the observing session. Not sure if it is available to install on iPad or Samsung Galaxy Note2. If it is, I don't need a Netbook. Better check it sometime.

I actually have Stellarium on my tablet, but truth to be said it's not noticeably better than Google star map which I use the most. Stellarium is beautiful through EQMod as it provides a visual concept of what you're doing, but considering that I can't afford taking the big kit out every time there's a glimpse of clear sky, I settle with either a star map or phone app. I think the Planisphere will come handy in such circumstances.

I think Planisphere is still a great design star learning / finding tool, but felt a bit awkward having to put torch on to be able to read it in the dark, even it was a red light torch. Glow-in-the-dark planisphere would be handier in the dark, I feel.

Will have to try the Google star map as well. Thanks for info.

Planisphere is so yesterday... I don't know... I never found anything except if I used my bino's. For telescope use I would always recommend a stellarium type of app. Has by far more detail.

A planisphere is 'yesterday' and 'today' is destroying your night vision with a screen? :grin: Give me yesterday! No serious visual observer that I know would take a screen out observing. In fact they tend to go nuts if someone lights a cigarette three miles away. A planisphere is a simple 'whole sky' tool designed to let you see what's up and when. It does this superbly. If you want to learn the whole sky and see how it will evolve in the night, poking your mobile phone at Arcturus is not the way forward.

Too many gadgets, not enough looking. (When imaging I'm doomed to damnable gadgets but I don't want them when doing visual. In visual activities Bill Gates can't get me. Yah boo, Billy Boy!!!)

Olly

A planisphere is 'yesterday' and 'today' is destroying your night vision with a screen? :grin: Give me yesterday! No serious visual observer that I know would take a screen out observing. In fact they tend to go nuts if someone lights a cigarette three miles away. A planisphere is a simple 'whole sky' tool designed to let you see what's up and when. It does this superbly. If you want to learn the whole sky and see how it will evolve in the night, poking your mobile phone at Arcturus is not the way forward.

Too many gadgets, not enough looking. (When imaging I'm doomed to damnable gadgets but I don't want them when doing visual. In visual activities Bill Gates can't get me. Yah boo, Billy Boy!!!)

Olly

Yup, me too, love yesterdays simple technology; and my Zeiss & Questar scopes.

Haven't used a planisphere yet, I have been using sky view on the iphone. do a search for what you want to find and the phone points you where to go, it acts as a virtual 3D map of the sky. The app uses dark background and not bright so you don't mess with your night eyes. Although a planisphere is on the list of items to purchase.

For sheer simplicity you cannot beat a planisphere, if used with a red light head torch it is easy to operate and does not destroy your night vision. It is also good for planning the nights objectives. Unlike the phone/tablet apps (which are good in many other ways) it shows a whole sky.

I have a Chandler version. I like it as the stars are on a white background which I find easier to read.

Olly

True, I'm reversing to simplicity after I managed to robotize everything. With all the wiring and interfacing it turned out to be a hassle - it's brilliant if my set up was permanent, and observatory or something.

By the way, digital star atlases have night mode - they still preserve my night vision. The problem comes when the apps closes automatically and you have to start over, then you'll need to log into the main screen which is not night vision. Then there's also the idiot next door who keeps his kitchen light :D

I use both - If I'm out with the bins, then a planisphere is quick and easy and doesn't destroy night vision. If I'm out imaging, sat in front of a computer in the middle of the garden, then I find Stellarium to give a lot more detail.

As you say they only cost a few quid so its worth having one.

Cheers John

I use both - If I'm out with the bins, then a planisphere is quick and easy and doesn't destroy night vision. If I'm out imaging, sat in front of a computer in the middle of the garden, then I find Stellarium to give a lot more detail.

As you say they only cost a few quid so its worth having one.

Cheers John

Yep, printed star maps while our with binos, I'll second that.

Searching for things with my scope? Night vision enabled iPad app...

So what is a better learning tool, the app which identifies the constellation and the stars which make up the constellation just by pointing the device at the sky, or the planisphere which you use as a reference to look up at the night sky? I ask because I'm still new at this and I have not used a planisphere.

An app such as google sky shows you what's in the section of the sky that you point it at. With a Planisphere, you can set any date and time of the year, and it will show you what will be visible in the "entire sky" at your latitude.

Archived