Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early Jupiter

Freddie

post-7987-0-58937500-1375611841_thumb.jp

Was out imaging DSOs so decided to stay up and have an early go at Jupiter. This was only 12deg altitude and pretty much day light so wasn't expecting much and didn't get much !!!! The blurry dots bottom left are Io and Europa and there is a hint of the GRS on the left side of Jupiter.

Don't think I'll bother again for a few months.

Thanks guys, not really up to my usual standard though.

Stuart, unless you are up feeding the cows anyway, I wouldn't bother getting up early for a while yet as the conditions (size and alt) will leave you pretty disappointed.

Thanks guys, not really up to my usual standard though.

Stuart, unless you are up feeding the cows anyway, I wouldn't bother getting up early for a while yet as the conditions (size and alt) will leave you pretty disappointed.

You can't put me off that easily :smiley: Its been too long since I captured anything I don't want to lose my mojo! Granted September is a better bet. :wink:

Looking forward to having a good crack at Jupiter this season and have been keeping an eye on it in Stellarium - If I get in just before sunrise (04:21), I should get just over 14deg, though in 4 weeks it'll be around 30deg at this time and at the end of September around 41deg (and a whole lot darker). Opposition in December and it should get over 60deg I think - let's hope we get some clear weather to enjoy

Thanks guys. I also took a pic of Mars on the same morning but it was just a horrible red blob. Maybe another go mid September on these two. Late Dec and Jup is over 60deg at a sensible time of night. Not long to wait!!

Nice one Freddie, got to admit im feeling withdrawal symptoms from not getting out for over a month now.

tried Monday night, got great PA as in 00:00:01 on both axis (best yet), got a couple of test shots of M57, slewed to some other target then back to M57 & tracking was really really out, any ideas what caused this ? clutches were tight & scope was not knocked at all.

Put an end to the night though :-(

Thanks guys. Hope you get your problems sorted Ewan. Had M57 crossed the meridian so scope was no longer balanced?

Thats what i am guessing Freddie, never had it happen before, but yes the scope slewed clockwise first time then when i revisited it it was going anti clockwise so i cancelled it.

I don't understand how it screwed my PA up though & balance though as i lock everything down, cheesed me off as that is the best PA i have ever got as well, oh well win some lose some.

I feel there going to be a lot of really good Jups this year, so many people got to try out new ccd's last year near the end of Jupiter & hopfully ironed out a few probs then Jup dissapeared, so this year will be the test including myself.

Archived