Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

G'day from Glasgow

DM

Hi Folks

Dave from Glasgow - just signed up. Should have done this ages ago. Looks like a good place to hang out and been recommended to me by several regulars.

I'm 35, work in marine optics at Strathclyde Uni, have two kiddywinkles, and a very understanding wife who assures me that she REALLY DOES understand that it is perfectly normal to spend your evenings up on the moor, freezing cold, trying to catch a barely perceptible fuzzy grey spot in the sky.....

Currently down to a single scope (150mm Europa) and a pair of 15x70 binocs, but I'm in the market for a 127 Mak for Mars. Santa better hurry....

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Dave,

There are a few of us "fuzzy blob nutters" up here in Glasgow. I do most of my observing at a site near Drymen (to the North) or the village of Crawford (to the South). I am in the West End, so need to travel to see the stars.

there is a flourishing Astro Soc in Glasgow and at least one "unnofficial" group in the west of Scotland, with several SGL members (Dogfish, Psychobabbler, GizMo, kenny10bellys, Me).

Tom

Hi Tom

I'm actually a mystery member of the 'unofficial' group in the west of Scotland. I get the e-mails etc, but due to circumstances (mainly the recent arrival of the 2nd wean, but also work and our wonderful climate) I have yet to meet anyone from the group. I am desperate to get out to some proper dark skies so maybe we will bump into each other in the dark sometime!

Dave

Hi Tom

I'm actually a mystery member of the 'unofficial' group in the west of Scotland. I get the e-mails etc, but due to circumstances (mainly the recent arrival of the 2nd wean, but also work and our wonderful climate) I have yet to meet anyone from the group. I am desperate to get out to some proper dark skies so maybe we will bump into each other in the dark sometime!

Dave

Look forward to meeting you Dave - whereabouts do you live - north or south of the Clyde? With a new kid, you will have your work cut out, so I am not surprised you can't just say to your wife - "I'm out tonight - doing some observing" - so hope to see you when the clouds finally part and we get some decent weather - perhaps in 2010?

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the welcome - looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

I'm on the Southside of the Clyde near Clarkston, but I started life on the Northside. On those rare occasions when it is both dark and clear AND I don't have nappy duties I head up to Eaglesham moor to get away from the local streetlights. I'm hoping to get to one of the group get-togethers further away from the city - proper dark skies would be a massive improvement. The new yin is a good wee soul and is pretty good at night, so I remain optimistic (its the only way......)

Dave

Glad you made it here Dave :icon_jokercolor:

Eaglesham isnt so good these days with the big floodlights over the moor while they build the new windfarm!

I can get to Harperrig from EK in about 45 mins so you might manage it in under an hour.

I've been looking up Strathaven way for a few sites too for something a bit more local.

Cheers

Paul

Eaglesham isnt so good these days with the big floodlights over the moor while they build the new windfarm!

Hi Dave :embarassed:

Noticed that the other week coming home down the M77 :icon_jokercolor: Just as well I never drove up there tonight

to try out my new D-SLR!!!!! Planning a wee jaunt out towards Muirkirk this weekend, out past Kames just to see

what the skies are like...

Hi Paul

Finally got round to joining up here - I think you recommended it about a year ago or more.

The wee spot I use on the moor is shielded from the worst of the floodlights, but I agree that the moor is not such a great place just now. I saw the plans for the wind farm at the local library - VERY extensive, but interestingly, it looks like there will be a network of new access roads over the moor that might eventually open up some good spots for observing. For me, just now, it is just a relief to get away from the direct streetlights that flood the back garden. I did wonder about the southern side of the moor - might be worth a daytime trip to look for spots.

I really hope that I can get to Harperrig or one of the other sessions with you guys this winter. Not quite so easy with the new arrival...

Cheers

Dave

Archived