Viewing List??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people do, some people don't... It's all down to personal preference. Personally, I think that I get more out of a session when I have a list of targets to go after.

I'm currently going through the Messier and Caldwell lists. I don't just get the lists and go through in numerical order, I plan what constellations are visible in my area of the sky each month, then look for the Messier and Caldwell items in those particular constellations. Simple but effective. Keeps me concentrated in particular areas of the sky which makes star hopping that much easier!

Going through TL@O would be similar (given that the book is divided into seasons).

Major magazines (S@N, Astronomy Now, Sky & Telescope etc) all have monthly observing guides that usually showcase the best of the best things to see that month. I normally add these in to my my lists too.

I think that you should just do whatever you feel comfortable doing! :grin:

I get a lot more done when I have lists, but I enjoy observing immensely even when I don't. If you plan in advance, you can often get quite a few DSOs, if you don't you may not get as many ;).

HTH

I often go out with lists and good intentions to stick to em, but just get caught up in the moment, and wander about with the scope all over the place :D

Some times I spend almost as much time looking with just my eye. I find I do this a great deal at very good dark sites, where just looking up is breathtaking. It's often stunning how much you can see with your eye alone. Its nice to just leave the scope for an hour or two and look up unaided.

Other times I stick religiously to my observing list. Kinda depends how I feel on the night.

I always have my binoculars round my neck, pick interesting things up with them & then point the scope at the target.

They are round my neck to avoid dropping them.

I use the same method for locating wildlife for my spotting scope.

Sometimes use a laptop with Stellarium running to help finding stuff.

A little bit of both usually,but now I have one of those Ipad things I can move it around the night sky aimlessly and use it as a guide for the Dob or let the go-to do it's thing, which lets me off any sort of planning....bit lazy really but it gets me out ....when it isn't cloudy.....which it seems to be when ever I am off and can get in the garden!

I normally go out like Rae said, with the Messiers in a particular part of the sky, but ever since i got into using the camera more, i tend to find myself just taking photos rather than actually looking at things. I think thats down to after i lugged out all the scope and power etc, seems a shame not to do imaging. Its why i should convince myself to get a dob really, so i can get out there quick and view.

I started out using lists about 3-4 years ago. For years I had just been revisiting the same old objects, but once I started out trying to find all objects on various lists, my object count and observing skills have gone up dramatically. For me, it has really added an extra dimension to the hobby.

Find a list helps otherwise I just don't see anything except to obvious ones, or I stop and refer to a book for the next interesting thing in the section I am looking at. So may as well have made a list.

Also helps you learn what is there and where it is.

Find it easier to go through a constellation at a time, then maybe look round a bit.

Definitely think a list is a good idea otherwise, as ronin says, I find I just go for the usual suspects that come to mind. Some apps and computer software will generate specific lists to reflect your interests and the date and time. But I prefer the old fashioned way and tend to study books and magazine articles during the day and then write a handwritten list to tick off on those lovely clear nights.

Having said that I always start with any visible planets especially before it's really dark as they tend to be visible then.

I try to go out with a few objectives - usually no more than 3 or 4, and usually something new - and see where that takes me. Those objectives usually things I've seen as being 'up' currently in a magazine or guidebook, or by checking Stellarium. Usually, they're Messier or Caldwell objects; these seem to be particularly suitable for my 5" scope. I do seem to go focus on particular parts of the sky - so a constellation or two - but maybe that's 'cos I'm still learning my way around.

But there is something to be said for just wondering around the heavens, or deciding on a whim to look at something else. One of my best nights was one where I just noticed Scorpius between some trees, and had a wander though it's Messier objects (4, 80, 6 and 7). Beautiful, and unexpected.

And though I usually try for new things each time, I also use the 'after that' part of the evening to revisit favourites - at the moment, the Ring Nebula and Albireo.

I try to go out with a few objectives - usually no more than 3 or 4, and usually something new - and see where that takes me. Those objectives usually things I've seen as being 'up' currently in a magazine or guidebook, or by checking Stellarium. Usually, they're Messier or Caldwell objects; these seem to be particularly suitable for my 5" scope. I do seem to go focus on particular parts of the sky - so a constellation or two - but maybe that's 'cos I'm still learning my way around.

But there is something to be said for just wondering around the heavens, or deciding on a whim to look at something else. One of my best nights was one where I just noticed Scorpius between some trees, and had a wander though it's Messier objects (4, 80, 6 and 7). Beautiful, and unexpected.

And though I usually try for new things each time, I also use the 'after that' part of the evening to revisit favourites - at the moment, the Ring Nebula and Albireo.

That's pretty much my approach too, now that the constellations moved somewhat new areas begin to open up since I started, I familiarise myself with new bits of the sky to focus on, then visit some golden oldies if I can, and at some stage at the end I end up doing the bit of a random walk and slew the scope across the sky to see if I have any luck in the lottery :), Seems lately the lottery is not playing ball though, the only new objects I am pickup up are various cloud shapes, enough of cirrostratus this and cirrocumulus that already, I didn't take up stargazing to become a cloud expert :mad:

I like to print out "tonights sky" from their web page and take a peek at what is out tonight. Other than that I have a seasonal wish list and I try to find objects on that list.

I've not long started going to my local group's dark sky site with my manual EQ2 and no list but instead armed with my N4 loaded with Google Sky Maps. However meeting up with the other chaps with their GOTO mounts I was finding that as they were slewing to stuff I was trying to keep up and failing miserably - massive sense of achievement whet I got there though (and getting very good at finding M57!)

Anyhow I resolved that the next time I'd get sorted with a list and stick to it ...but best laid plans and all that... I stumbled across a pre-loved GOTO mount on a certain well known auction site and managed to aquire that. With this cloud and these bright (hence late) nights in between I've not managed to get out since so whether I get sorted with a list before I go next remains to be seen ...I certainly intend to.

Dave

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I often do quite a bit of research before I go out as I like star clusters and double stars, and you need to research the best ones to look at, my current desired target is the double star known as the 'Easter Egg' double or Struve 60 up in Cass. Really hope to find that soon! I use the Cambridge Double Star Atlas amongst other books to do my research.

I've not long started going to my local group's dark sky site with my manual EQ2 and no list but instead armed with my N4 loaded with Google Sky Maps. However meeting up with the other chaps with their GOTO mounts I was finding that as they were slewing to stuff I was trying to keep up and failing miserably - massive sense of achievement whet I got there though (and getting very good at finding M57!)

Anyhow I resolved that the next time I'd get sorted with a list and stick to it ...but best laid plans and all that... I stumbled across a pre-loved GOTO mount on a certain well known auction site and managed to aquire that. With this cloud and these bright (hence late) nights in between I've not managed to get out since so whether I get sorted with a list before I go next remains to be seen ...I certainly intend to.

Dave

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What you should do when they are looking the other way is to quickly disconnect the battery, see how they keep with up you then when they suddenly have no GoTo. Unless they are seasoned gazers, I expect you'll win :) but seriously, look at it this way, I can't imagine if you start with GoTo day one, you'd ever learn the skies as well as would do with manual searching, but mostly, because it is just satisfying to find something new by yourself, for me it is anyway.

Hopefully Dave this cloud cover will relent soon :laugh:

Yeah, hopefully(!) Shaun - these clouds are a *touch* frustrating ...especially when only Saturday nights are available to me. However I know I'm not alone in wanting to get out and try some new bit of kit. Have you tried your Delios yet?

What you should do when they are looking the other way is to quickly disconnect the battery, see how they keep with up you then when they suddenly have no GoTo. Unless they are seasoned gazers, I expect you'll win :) but seriously, look at it this way, I can't imagine if you start with GoTo day one, you'd ever learn the skies as well as would do with manual searching, but mostly, because it is just satisfying to find something new by yourself, for me it is anyway.

Absolutely agree Alex, I was chuffed to bits when I found what I was looking for but I did find that I wasn't sure what to look for or what I was looking at until one of the more experienced observers had a look through my scope and confirmed what I was on. However, as I've got both mounts now and had some minor accomplishments with the manual mount it is my intention to learn what certain objects look like through my scope using the GOTO before going back to my manual mount to learn how to find those same objects by star hopping.

...but then I can be a bit lazy!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Dave, I have used the 10mm and was very impressed :smiley: I have not had any clear skies since purchasing the 12mm but I have no doubts it will be great :smiley: next time we are out I will bring them along and you can have a go with them in your scope, if you want to that is :grin: but beware as I know you have the bug.

Ive never been one for lists. My method is to scan the night sky with my biggest EP (30mm) and just wait til i spot a faint fuzzy of any kind and zoom by increasing magnification as i go until i hit the sweet spot.

Even with a Go-To scope my method has never changed. I have certain objects that i will concentrate on from time to time.

I'd always looked for but never seen the Rosette Nebula, until i bought an OIII filter.

Not sure what is in each Constellation, visible through a small scope, then take the next step up from TL@O and invest in a copy of ..."The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" enough information in there to keep you busy for a very, very long time :)

Sometimes do a list if I am out viewing by myself, currently going thru the Herschel 400. If out with a group of people it might be a case of what they would like to look at, especially if they do not have scopes of their own. I organise a small group that meet near Swindon and quite often have people asking to look at something special, making a list for these evenings are a waste of time.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I plan ahead each day to what I want to try and visit, but usually changing a few and end up going for bonus targets if something comes to mind. I also keep a google drive spreadsheet where I note my visual observations with date, instrument, seeing and impression.

Archived