Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obsession telescopes

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall anyone saying that they've tried an Obsession. I know one or two SGL members own/have owned the Sumerian Canopus though, which is another compact design.

James

If you look at the Sumarians you may be better emailing Michael and asking what the situation is. He has altered what he produces and I think that the Canopus is available and 1 of the others in something like 14".

You have to provide the mirror, usually one of the GSO's from TS, however it is up to you to get it. I think that GSO produced a few poor ones and Michael procured them as part of the product then had problems when people complained about the mirror. So what I think now occurs is you get a mirror and he fits whatever you supply. That way it is not his responsibility about the mirror.

He used to produce a very nice and none too costly 10" that I to some extent regret not getting one of, several people in the US acquired one before the change to what he produces.

I just love the design of the Obsession ultracompact range, has anyone here had the chance to use one?

They are nice looking scopes, I would think a few have made it across the pond and into the hands of UK astronomers. I wouldn't mind an 18" to play with :tongue: They also check the mirrors with an interferometry test so the optics should be nice.

http://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/reviews/obsession18-Tom-Trusock.pdf

A friend of mine (well known uk deep sky observer) has both 15 and 22 inch UL Obsessions.

Both give excellent views, and seem to be fairly easy to assemble single handed.

It is a long way to the top of the 22 when at the zenith, though.

Primary dewing seems to be a bit of a problem with the 22 though (but likely with any UL design).

He's often at the camps, so you might see one of them there...

Callum

On a slightly different tack, I very much like the look of the 10" TT/STS-Q solid tube telescopes by Rob Teeter with quartz mirror. Everything about it looks top notch. Of course, I do not need another telescope, but It is so much cheaper than buying a high end refractor...

I've used a few 18" UCs. They're nice scopes but I've heard a few people complain that they don't hold collimation (whereas, oddly, the 15" and 22" appear to do so) without reinforcing the upper ring. Personally, at these larger sizes, I prefer a more conventional ("classic") design. These are more rigid, easer to protect from dew, and have more locations on them on which to mount stuff. Modifications are therefore easier. The Canopus looks better than the Obsession UC from this point of view. From the point of view of bulk, though, these scopes really do win. Whilst my conventional 18" is very light (the same weight as an 18" UC), I can't fit it into a mini. If my UTA was 3/4 to 1/2 the length, the scope would be significantly more portable.

Ronin, I think Sumerian still make the 10". They originally had two different small scope designs (the Propus and Alkaid that are on the site now) and then added a "travelscope" that was a slightly different design. I bought what I think was the second travelscope sold. The Propus and Alkaid were, I believe, then discontinued and only the travelscope sold. The travelscope design was eventually frozen, so customers couldn't specify weird focusers (that's what I did!), etc, because accommodating these requests was taking too much time. I suspect when he re-boots production we will see a more restricted range of instruments.

Not 100% sure what Michael is offering at present. The site appears to be saying the Propus is no longer offered - I thought that was the basis of the 10" travel scope, Alkaid can only be ordered in 14" option at present - however it may change and the Camopus is apparently normally available.

I see that the Alkaid is mentioned as "travel dobsonian" so perhaps the 10" will return as the travel scope.

Equally he says that things are still being sorted and that this will remain until end of 2013.

I have an idea that him producing 3 different models at 3 different lengths could have been complicating matter too much. so a reduced set of offerings makes sense. If I decide on one then I will jump on a ferry and simply go visit (by arrangement). Although one idea comes to mind that I may look into then ask Michael if he could accomodate. He makes some good looking and practical instruments.

My main point to the OP was email Michael first and ask.

My travel-scope looks more like an Alkaid than a Propus. I'm sure the 10" travel Dob will return. I think it would be nice to have an 8" option too, as the 10" might be considered a little heavy some applications. I agree, though: ask Michael first. An 18" Canopus with Huygens optics would probably be the better telescope. Probably cheaper too: you could drive and pick it up, whereas shipping an Obsession from the US will likely be multiple hundreds of pounds even for the UC.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not tried the ultra compact range, as I have a classic obsession and if that's anything to go by they should be stunning bits of kit. I prefer the classic as the workmanship Dave put into them is stunning, they are works of art, wiith views to die for.

Best scope I have ever bought

I ordered a 10" Alkaid travel scope from Michael (Sumerian) a while back. Due in a couple of weeks. I think he is pretty busy and is rationalising his workload. Demand seems to be high and he is a one man operation...

My advice is just email him and see what he can do for you. He's a good guy and will do what he can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having the privilege of using an 18" classic obsession many moons ago set me on the path to try and build my own version. Using my 16" LB was never the same after that encounter :)

As you say the craftsmanship is very nice indeed, and sets them apart from the majority of mass produced products.

Life is never the same once you look through a Obsession Telescope :grin:

If you are in the UK you could save a fortune by going to David Lukehurst. http://www.dobsonians.co.uk/ Dobsonians don't work by magic. The mount just needs to move nicely and hold its shape to retain collimation. Most of the rest is down to the mirrors. I refuse to be drawn into any hype concerning any one make, however expensive they are. I'm sure John Dobson would be of the same mind.

Olly

If you are in the UK you could save a fortune by going to David Lukehurst. http://www.dobsonians.co.uk/ Dobsonians don't work by magic. The mount just needs to move nicely and hold its shape to retain collimation. Most of the rest is down to the mirrors. I refuse to be drawn into any hype concerning any one make, however expensive they are. I'm sure John Dobson would be of the same mind.

Olly

That's what I did when I got my 18". David's telescopes are very well-made.

A friend of mine (well known uk deep sky observer) has both 15 and 22 inch UL Obsessions.

Both give excellent views, and seem to be fairly easy to assemble single handed.

It is a long way to the top of the 22 when at the zenith, though.

Primary dewing seems to be a bit of a problem with the 22 though (but likely with any UL design).

He's often at the camps, so you might see one of them there...

Callum

The same person I know and those are nice scopes but, like you say, they're prone to dewing and the mirrors are too exposed for my liking.

Speaks a man that's obviously not used, or tried to build one :)

There is no magic behind an obsession scope, this is true. Read David Kriege's book.

What there is, is a lot of science and well worked out calculations.

I have used many larger dobs over the years and there is a huge difference between the good and the bad ones.

An obsession works, that's it in a nutshell. It gets out of the way as you observe.

You know how your sublime Apo's give you those moments at the eyepiece that you cherish, well an obsession gives you an observing experience just like that. The way it works is sublime.

You aren't just paying for optics with an obsession, you are paying for a handcrafted bespoke telescope beautifully made just for you.

There are many other good makers, this is true. I'm not saying David Kriege is the very best, but what he is, is the benchmark against which all others are judged.

You may not wanna be drawn into any hype about them but perhaps use one first huh?

I guess I should add if obsession weren't so good, why does every other Dob maker try to copy them?

Whoa! On the contrary, I have used several Obsessions with great enjoyment and my own 20 inch, built to DK's design from his book, which I have, was not built by me but has been rebuilt by me with help from optical experts who visit. I maintain my position. Obsession scopes are beautifully made but, this side of the pond, they are expensive and you really do have alternatives. It is certainly not true that all other Dob builders try to copy Obessisons. There are all sorts of alternative designs. I'm no expert on how well they work because my own is a DK design and I'm very happy with it. The mirror box is a bit deeper than on production Obsessions but how important that is I have no idea. I have never known the primary dew up but I live in a generally dry region.

You seem to have taken my post as anti-Obsession. I think that if you read it again you may agree that it isn't. I think that the addendum 'Huh?' is best left to CN, though, don't you?

Olly

Yes, I own a 30" Obsession, to my knowledge it's the only one in the UK

Lucky you, the views through that beast must be stunning! Please feel free to post a few pics for the rest of us to drool over :-)

Archived