Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What..... do you do?

gazza63

Hi all

Now summer nights are here, also...cloudy ones at that!

And you find yourself looking out of the window night after night, (don't pretend you don't) :grin: , wishing you had a dark clear sky.

What do you fellow astronomers find yourself doing, to pass the nights away?

I myself, read star maps, (trying to learn my way around) and astronomy magazines.

Thought it would be good to hear what ....YOU do?

Conquer various different worlds through my PS3, be they based on cybertron, in the name of the emperor or full of dragons (PS3 players should hopefully know which games I mean :D )

Oh and drool over astro gear obviously

Make notes of what I could look at when the nights are better, tend to arange things by constellation.

Put together things to look at and alternatives.

Check things work as I would like them to.

Get a few items to make life easier.

Keep the general knowledge up to date, heard of stars but forgotten what they look like.

Is it just me or do others feel that spending cloudy nights doing astro-related things a bit sad.?

There really is more to life then astronomy. I sure dont spend time planning my next observing session etc.

If it aint raining, i'll even take the mutt for a walk around the estate.

I've only recently joined SGL and have found myself having a quick look via my phone on and off during the day . It's a little "Bitter Sweet " for me as i like action water sports ( Boating and Jet-ski ) so love the light nights and early light mornings but come late autumn and winter fall back to my obs. Odd thing is that whilst doing one i can't wait for the next hobby season to begin.

Drink drink and more drink...hic.

Drinking is my only way of observing doubles.

LOL.

Every star is a double after a few vodka and coke.

*disclaimer* .

Anyone under the age of 18 yrs old.............please do not try this method at home. I am a professional with yrs of experience.

No,seriously dont try this at home. I do these experiments, so you dont have to.

Now summer nights are here, also...cloudy ones at that!

And you find yourself looking out of the window night after night, (don't pretend you don't) :grin: , wishing you had a dark clear sky.

Cheer up. The Met Office reckon it should be back to normal within 10 years or so:

They said that this 10 to 20 year pattern of Atlantic warming was shifting the jet stream, leading to washouts in six of the last seven summers.

But they suggested that the pattern would change at some point in the next decade.

Even more time on this forum, asking questions, planning for late summer observing, making the odd purchase, but at least I am not sat at the PC wearing several layers and a fleece pullover.

I play video games. A lot of video games. Everyone tells me I should stop and I'm too old but what do they know? I've been a gamer since I was 8 on my first spectrum 48k and now at 33 I see no reason to stop. Astronomy is the first thing in a long time to took my attention away from gaming.

I play video games. A lot of video games. Everyone tells me I should stop and I'm too old but what do they know? I've been a gamer since I was 8 on my first spectrum 48k and now at 33 I see no reason to stop. Astronomy is the first thing in a long time to took my attention away from gaming.

I feel your pain ;)

Is it just me or do others feel that spending cloudy nights doing astro-related things a bit sad.?

There really is more to life then astronomy. I sure dont spend time planning my next observing session etc.

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Cooking is of course another useful pastime. And of course grading students' papers, preparing lectures, writing papers

A mixture of video games, reading (inc Astronomy mags), watching tv and scouring for cheap astro bargains - but this usually turns into drooling over expensive kit that I can't justify... :)

Working on a live video imaging application and hopefully having it ready for when the dark skies return.

Outside of astro I shoot clays, another hobby you have to make the most of the weather, thankfully warm sunny days / evenings are just the ticket!

Archived