Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If only the Mrs understood...

emadmoussa

My wife is not interested in shoes. She has as many pairs as she needs to do the job. A pair of trainers for running around after the kids, a pair of smart shoes for work, a pair of rugby boots (her hobby) and a pair of Dr. Martens for kicking me when I buy new astro kit!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit that I struggle to understand the need for so many pairs of shoes. When wellies or steel toe-cap boots really won't go with what I'm wearing I have a nice pair of black lace-ups. Other than the "clogs" I wear around the house, that's pretty much the entirety of my footwear collection.

Actually, that's not quite it. I also have a leaky pair of scruffy trainers that I wear if I'm just nipping out to get something from the workshop or picking my daughter up from Brownies or something like that.

James

My wife has 2 double wardrobes full of clothes and has taken up most of a third. All my stuff is crammed down one and there is no room for a telescope. Go figure.

A wardrobe is not a man's domain..back-door hangers are

Its not the clothes I invest in... Most of my clothes are bought on sale and I normally only make shopping trips for clothes a couple of times a year. It's the shoes that I invest in. They last for years (providing I look after them), and 5 different pairs of shoes for every outfit makes it feel like I have 5 totally different outfits! Trust me, it's a girl thing!

Nice one Rockrae you have found the answer for many eyepieces.

It's 15 eyepieces and three scopes or one eyepiece and 45 telescopes.

In my case I am quite lucky I guess. My partner actually encouraged the whole astronomy thing and agreed that buying a telescope would be a good thing, and that is actually in a time where lot of the money is being sucked into doing up the house.

Both of us we sitting in the garden about a month or more ago drinking away until dark, looking at the stars and began talking about telescopes, it wasn't the first time we'd thought about it, the topic had come up a few times by now, anyway, eventuallty she said, "Isn't it boring buying floor boards, plaster and paint, we should buy something nice for once", and so she handed over the credit card and said, go research it and buy it :D

Within the first month an extra eyepiece came and another will be coming later his month for my birthday which she all agrees are good extras. I am doing most of the observing, planning and learning about it, as long as I keep putting on a good show she happily comes out every once in a while and take a peek also. The first time when I put up the moon ans saturn were enough to convince her that it is a good thing. With some of the more underhwelming views of some of the DSOs according to her, I would not be surprised that she'll be the one saying a 200 or 250p dob will be on the list sooner rahter than later.

So it can be a gals/man thing, in our case it is mutual. Mind you, she has perhaps 6 or 7 pairs of shoes, she is not an excessive cloth/shoe type collector and likes technology and science, though she does like proper wooded furniture. IKEA has been banned for any of the main rooms, it has to be oak or something costly, that could go against it may be :) The front room book shelves we got recently would have easily bought a 200p dob with some extras.

Anyway, you just need to pick carefully, and before anyone asks, she is a she :D

In my case I am quite lucky I guess. My partner actually encouraged the whole astronomy thing and agreed that buying a telescope would be a good thing, and that is actually in a time where lot of the money is being sucked into doing up the house.

Both of us we sitting in the garden about a month or more ago drinking away until dark, looking at the stars and began talking about telescopes, it wasn't the first time we'd thought about it, the topic had come up a few times by now, anyway, eventuallty she said, "Isn't it boring buying floor boards, plaster and paint, we should buy something nice for once", and so she handed over the credit card and said, go research it and buy it :D

Within the first month an extra eyepiece came and another will be coming later his month for my birthday which she all agrees are good extras. I am doing most of the observing, planning and learning about it, as long as I keep putting on a good show she happily comes out every once in a while and take a peek also. The first time when I put up the moon ans saturn were enough to convince her that it is a good thing. With some of the more underhwelming views of some of the DSOs according to her, I would not be surprised that she'll be the one saying a 200 or 250p dob will be on the list sooner rahter than later.

So it can be a gals/man thing, in our case it is mutual. Mind you, she has perhaps 6 or 7 pairs of shoes, she is not an excessive cloth/shoe type collector and likes technology and science, though she does like proper wooded furniture. IKEA has been banned for any of the main rooms, it has to be oak or something costly, that could go against it may be :) The front room book shelves we got recently would have easily bought a 200p dob with some extras.

Anyway, you just need to pick carefully, and before anyone asks, she is a she :D

Wait until your astro gear starts to overflow.. :D

Wait until your astro gear starts to overflow.. :D

We got quite a bit of storage actually, there is a perfect space unused right now for a 10/12 inch dob or and even bigger flextube, but yeah I can see where it could end up if I push it too far. Still, I do not see myself as one of the obsessive astro buyers types .................... YET :D that suffers a great deal from ocularitis or whatver it's called, Perhaps with my like for DSOs I think aperture fever will hit me first. Once I have reasonably decent set of eyepieces and some filters I think I'd be happy enough, ... along with a bigger dob.

Luckily the imaging aspect has not attracted me thus far, so that should help. All famous last words, lets see where it all will be in 10 years time. Perhaps my partner will have chucked me out of the house by that time, but then I'll have a big enough dob so I can sleep in it :D

My astro' spending was rivaled by my wifes garden railway spending but I think I've managed to overtake her now, just hope she doesn't find out or she''ll want another £800.00 loco'

Dave

My astro' spending was rivaled by my wifes garden railway spending but I think I've managed to overtake her now, just hope she doesn't find out or she''ll want another £800.00 loco'

I keep doing this too... Every time my other half spends a fair amount on a gadget or a 'boys toy', I use this as an excuse to peruse (and usually buy from) the FLO website. That way he can't have a go about anything!

Well, I dunno why women need so many pairs of shoes.

I have 4 or 5 usable pairs (Apart from my fell boots), of which only 2 or 3 are in regular use.

As I'm on my feet a lot, comfort and practicality rule.

I wear one pair day in day out, Dr Martins shoes that are smart enough for work and casual enough for everything else, and not unlike a pair of clogs they last for years.

However all over the house and in the loft I have shoes galore many unworn for ages, such as three pairs of cycling shoes, fell running shoes, training shoes, two pairs of cross country ski boots, rock climbing shoes, several pairs of fell walking boots, approach shoes, hill walking shoes etc etc, then there are sandles if they count. Ebay is missing out on something here. When they start to get a bit worn they do not get thrown out but become gardening shoes.

I'm a boy and if I count all the shoes including sports shoes etc. then I must have 25+ pairs of shoes.

I don't have 25 scopes yet......but f I keep going then maybe.

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived