Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If only the Mrs understood...

emadmoussa

I came across this article on Cloudy nights, it pretty much summerizes the story for a lot of us, polygamous folks out there (married to your wife/girlfriend and your telescopes). :)

P.S. this is a give and take light discussion, so please don't go all-righteous on us :D :D

The Article

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife spends a lot of time sewing new clothes upstairs, so she can hardly complain I spent evenings outside with the scope (and she doesn't). And as I have said before, if she complains about even more telescope kit entering the house, I just start counting her shoes (close to 50 pairs, I believe)

My wife spends a lot of time sewing new clothes upstairs, so she can hardly complain I spent evenings outside with the scope (and she doesn't). And as I have said before, if she complains about even more telescope kit entering the house, I just start counting her shoes (close to 50 pairs, I believe)

Only fifty pairs, that's not bad, my wife had 86 pairs that I found.. :D

Ed; Maybe we should have a ''How many pairs of shoes does your partner have'' thread.

My wife has about 3 pairs of shoes yet I have 26 telescopes, you guys are obviously going about it the wrong way. :grin:

I'm surprised you're still living at home :D With 4 telescopes at home, my wife thinks they're too much and her best wish would be me having an observatory, where I keep everything...DOH!! Like I would mind!!. Unfortunately that's not doable until we have bought a property of our own. I'm sorely looking forward to building an observatory...just pretending I'm not interested :D

Makes you wonder, why amateur astronomy is by majority a male hobby? :D I know we have excellent ladies down here, but they're a minority, aren't they?

I think that its somethng that's much more in the male psyche than womens. that is the desire to be alone with ones thoughts take fishing, cycling, hill walking and again the slightly autistic trait to order and catalogue things. for example train spotting, collecting etc all predominantly male

I think that its somethng that's much more in the male psyche than womens. that is the desire to be alone with ones thoughts take fishing, cycling, hill walking and again the slightly autistic trait to order and catalogue things. for example train spotting, collecting etc

I happened to be an aircraft (mainly military) model collector...my wife still can't get her head around the attractiveness of the hobby - bear in mind she's an artist and intricate, meticulous attention to details is mutual between visual arts and models. In my eyes, a highly detailed die cast f-16 or f-22 model is the ultimate manifestation of beauty, if not technical genius as well.

I hate to buck the trend, but a) I'm female, B) my male OH really isn't interested in Astronomy, but is glad I have a hobby, and c) at last count, I have over 150 pairs of shoes and 2 telescopes. My OH has always moaned about the amount of shoes I have, but since I got my first scope, he moans about all the things I buy relating to them!

I hate to buck the trend, but a) I'm female, B) my male OH really isn't interested in Astronomy, but is glad I have a hobby, and c) at last count, I have over 150 pairs of shoes and 2 telescopes. My OH has always moaned about the amount of shoes I have, but since I got my first scope, he moans about all the things I buy relating to them!

What on earth do you need 150 pairs of shoes for? :) This is the part a male can't understand ....

What on earth do you need 150 pairs of shoes for? :) This is the part a male can't understand ....

I need different shoes for different outfits! And when I buy a new pair of shoes, I have to buy a bag that goes with them. Admittedly, I'm happy for 1 bag to go with 10 different pairs of shoes, and 1 different outfit will go with about 5 pairs of shoes, but the shoes are like accessories... They will dress an outfit up or down, make it day or night, casual or formal, winter or summer etc etc. Having more pairs of shoes means I buy less clothes!

I need different shoes for different outfits! And when I buy a new pair of shoes, I have to buy a bag that goes with them. Admittedly, I'm happy for 1 bag to go with 10 different pairs of shoes, and 1 different outfit will go with about 5 pairs of shoes, but the shoes are like accessories... They will dress an outfit up or down, make it day or night, casual or formal, winter or summer etc etc. Having more pairs of shoes means I buy less clothes!

why do you need lots of clothes? :smiley:

Things we know about SGL users: Michael Wilkinson is married to a centipede :D

James

But telescopes are basically an investment...they last for years and years...Clothes on the other hand...

Its not the clothes I invest in... Most of my clothes are bought on sale and I normally only make shopping trips for clothes a couple of times a year. It's the shoes that I invest in. They last for years (providing I look after them), and 5 different pairs of shoes for every outfit makes it feel like I have 5 totally different outfits! Trust me, it's a girl thing!

Its not the clothes I invest in... Most of my clothes are bought on sale and I normally only make shopping trips for clothes a couple of times a year. It's the shoes that I invest in. They last for years (providing I look after them), and 5 different pairs of shoes for every outfit makes it feel like I have 5 totally different outfits! Trust me, it's a girl thing!

Indeed, a girl thing!! I have two pairs of shoes and I wear only one of them every day on every occasion. I don't even know where the other pair is...probably somewhere behind the washing machine.

Archived