NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light - FSQ-85EDX - NGC6960

Stephen

As Ibbo pointed out to me, it's not often you get to first light a scope on the day it arrives :) Fortune meant that we were up at Belper last night so I had to have a go really didn't I :)

Focus is a bit soft, PA is off, but it was more a proof of concept that it would focus with my gear than trying to nail a final image. Used a low Veil to run some Ha as a pre cursor to the autumn project. I've also taken the lazy approach to processing :blush:

FSQ-85 / Atik 460ex

10x600s Ha

100% crop included

8989534438_db20736c4c_o.jpg

8989534536_2f5cf4416b_o.jpg

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get some serious hours behind this!

Very nice - a small amount of deconvolution would assist recapturing some additional detail.

Not sure why you're getting the off centre lens flare.

I did apply some deconvolution but I think I did something in processing afterwards, maybe I should save that step till last?

Re: flare - I'm hopeful that its just because I was using 2" push fit hurriedly cobbled together, my Tak adaptors to thread the whole chain together should arrive this week :)

Very nice first image.... some slight issues but i am sure you will resolve those.

Glad you took my advice on the new scope ;) I am sure you will be very happy when you can get more data.

Cracking image though

Velvet :wub:

I did apply some deconvolution but I think I did something in processing afterwards, maybe I should save that step till last?

hmm there's a couple of options:

1. Noise removal for the CCD - you'll need todo this before you deconv as the CCD noise can't be deconvoluted

2. now for the bit that requires linear values..

2a) register (align), stack then deconv using the stars as a guide to the convolution

2b) deconv each sub seperately using the stars as a guide to the convolution, then register and stack.

3. stretch/layer etc after

a) allows you to remove noise with sigma stacking but you end up with a slightly more complex

B) has simpler deconv but has worse noise-to-signal

All my opinion :)

Re: flare - I'm hopeful that its just because I was using 2" push fit hurriedly cobbled together, my Tak adaptors to thread the whole chain together should arrive this week :)

Ahh thought as much :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh thought as much :D

Just to come back to you on the off centre flare, this is first test shot (no PA) with fully threaded adaptors (plus reducer for kicks) - flare still a little off centre ... not sure where to look now?

post-10395-0-97088700-1372144434_thumb.j

I can't comment on the flare, have no knowledge there, but I sure can appreciate a good image, and this is one! Even being a quick test run, as you say, it looks fantastic.

Congrats on a good kit there!

/Jesper

Archived