Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5-PRO Pier adapter

I have the HEQ5-PRO which I purchased in Manchester. The mount has a tripod leg bang in the North direction. That is a problem down here at 12 degree latitude. The counterweights foul the leg. So I simply sawed off the azimuth adjustment peg in the north, drilled a hole and made another peg due south. This is where the problem started. The measurement of the peg is slightly off and it fouls the inside of the mount head and I am therefore not able to level it. Please could someone give me an accurate measurement for the peg or advice as to how do I solve the problem.

File a bit off your new peg until it fits without fouling. The inside of the mount is left "as cast" and is quite thin - so don't try and file this away! As long as both azimuth screws touch the peg you should be OK.

I have previously filed off these pegs and drilled and tapped an M8 hole. You can then insert a short length threaded rod - Or in fact saw off the head of am M8 metal bolt. A bit of careful drilling / centering though (see above)? A little ingenuity to get the screw to remain upright too? But ultimately makes for as good solution as the "sculpted" peg.

(Somehow) Mimic the technique of the Altair Astro pier adaptor: http://www.altairast...&cat=303&page=1

Archived