NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Having a go at solar imaging

Tim

I came within a half inch of selling my PST recently, it just doesn't get much use, but the Mrs wanted to keep it, and at the same time I picked up a used DMK 618 camera, so we hung on to it.

On sunday morning we had a peek at the sun and then popped the DMK into the PST. Here's the result. I know it isn't up to the usual standard in this board, but I was pleased to capture some of the violent action on the sun which we had seen visually.

If anybody knows of a good guide to stacking with Avistack 2.0 I'd be very pleased to see it, thanks

Thanks for looking

Tim

post-1391-0-70317800-1369177736_thumb.jp

"I know it isn't up to the usual standard in this board"

Too modest Tim - either that or you're just daft lol. It's better than a lot of shots I've seen on several forums. You must be getting better weather than we are up here in the north hahaha. :)

When I hopefully try some solar imaging later this year, I would be very happy with a result like that!

Did it take a long time to process?

That's the beauty Luke, it's very quick to process these images, 10 or 15 mins max. I'm used to spending 10 or 15 HOURS on a picture!

Kev, I did actually take two avi's, one for the surface, and one for the proms, but found it hard to blend them, and in fact the surface one had quite a bit of the proms visible anyway, so in the end I used a layer of the surface, over a layer of the proms, deleted the proms from the surface leaving the proms layer to show through, blended them both then used them as a LUM layer over a colour layer. Or something like that :p

About the best standard PST image I've ever seen, Tim. Way ahead of my solar efforts. Putting the proms underneath is a good idea. I've always done it the other way round and I see, now, the wisdom of your way.

The colour is absolutely perfect, hot and vibrant yet carrying the detail well.

Olly

Archived