Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Found a skywatcher Telescope at the car boot for £20, is it any good ?

Evening all, I found a skywatcher Telescope at the car boot for £20, can anyone tell me what one it is ? is it any good , and how can i set it up correctly please.

telescope3.jpg

telescope2j.jpg

telescope1.jpg

telescope4.jpg

i have a cheshire that i use on my 200p but it seems too big for this scope?, how will i collaminate it correctly, and setup all the tripod bits as i have only ever used a dob mounted scope , all these weights and things on the tripod seem scary for a behinner.

thanks

Sorry , posted from my phone and its come up about 5 times as a reply, can a mod please merge or delete them.

How would one go about setting this up ? i would love to give it a try later . I was thinking it would make a nice grab and go scope if its all working ok.

I'm guessing you've got a bargain there. whether you'll be content with the views after owning an 8" I don't know. Still, if you're not happy with it I'm sure someone will make good use of it. maybe someone after a starter scope?

Just cleaned it, collaminated as best i could and had some early evening views of the moon, its looking like a perfect clear night to give it a proper test.

This will be a nice grab and go scope or maybe one for the family to use.

How much are these worth 2nd hand as a matter of interest ? only thing wrong with is that the spotting scope is missing the dust covers.

Astro gear usually goes for (depending on age and condition ) about 50-70% of new sometimes a little more or less so I reckon about £50 would be a fair price

£50-60 sounds about right to me. Not bad for a £20 investment. But if the family can use it, i say keep it.

Not bad for twenty quid!!! Great for grab n' go!

Looking at the EQ1 mount, you could get a motor drive and put a DSLR camera on it (with an adaptor) - get some nice several minute widefield shots...

It looks in good nick far as I can see on the pics - a nice little starter scope for someone. At £20 it's a smashing bargain - might fetch around £50 (give or take a tenner) if sold on - or keep for a grab 'n' go. Nice one :)

Not bad for twenty quid!!! Great for grab n' go!

Looking at the EQ1 mount, you could get a motor drive and put a DSLR camera on it (with an adaptor) - get some nice several minute widefield shots...

Gave it a test last night on saturn, it was tiny tiny compaired to my 8 dob but still a decent view a complete beginner would be pleased with for sure.,

Im not sure if i have it perfectly collaminated, do i need a proper cheshire or just a cap with a hole in it ?

Regarding the motor that sounds like a cool little project,

How would i go about getting a motor drive on it? is it the same as this

what sort of cost would i be looking at with motor , and any other bits ?

, would love to try and take a photo of something like the orion nebula or andromeda galaxy or maybe future comets ?.

thanks again guys

Yep, that's it.

Get an EQ2 motor drive as they are slightly better quality.

I don't know much about Deep Sky astrophotography with an EQ1 mount, drive and telescope, but I know that attaching a DSLR camera to the mount will produce acceptable widefield images.

An adaptor plate like this may be suitable to affix a camera.

• 2 months later...

You could try another Telrad instead of an RDF? Otherwise, any RDF with a Skywatcher style mount should be fine, but if you have to buy new I'd probably go for the Telrad (or a Quikfinder?) anyhow.

I'd have thought you could collimate it with exactly the same kit you use for your 200P.

James

Archived