Hello From Cheshire

kris7125

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever wait so long for the Forum to react that you hit 'Post' again because you thought it didn't work the first time?

I did and this is what happens. Could have been worse; I was was going to do it again but decided to Refresh the page first and check.

So I get a 'free' post, but this one took so long to write that I'm not sure it was worth the trouble!

Dana

Hi Kris,hope you enjoy your new scope.

10 inch dob as your first scope is good goin.

Kenny

Ps You wont need a cheshire right away,collimation should be good enough out of the box.

Just enjoy.

A 8" is a great (and big) telescope, that will show amazing things- both Deepsky (nebulas, galaxies) and planets.

As the 200/1200mm f/6 telescopes are not too critical (regarding coma and sharpness in the outer field of cheaper eyepieces) the UWA, Erfle eypieces work well and start at about 32€/28gbp. They have a 66 degree apparent field of view (While most kit eyepieces or Plössl have 40-50 degree afov).

Nice space-walk/apollo feeling!

Depending on your budget you can also get Hyperions, they perform well on telescopes with f/5 and under, and also have almost 70deg afov.

For high magnifications HR Planetary are great, perform well on fast telescopes, and have 58-60 deg afov. They cost 45-60€/35-50gpb or something like that.

A overview eypiece (30-40x), a planetary eypiece,

and one or two in between are great and sufficient for most observation nights.

More then 200-250x is difficult due to conditions (seeing, transparency, air disturbances), even though you could magnify up to 350-400. Stunning for moon and planets, but rarely works.

So basically 30-40x, 60-80, 100-150x, 200-250x

Of course the available eyepieces and budget will somewhat limit that palette.

Also don't get too many eyepieces at once, I usually take along two, three, rarely four, especially with my smaller scope if it's very dark. Easier to handle, and you can still ad another eyepiece later on.

Also stay within a certain range of exit pupil, the light that exits the eyepiece. (eyepiece-mm dived by your telescope's f/6)

A exit pupil under 7mm and over 0.6mm is ideal.

Under not-so-dark conditions 5-6mm will be the maximum for the pupil.

Under 0.6 it gets too dark and less contrast, over the maximum exit pupil the sky seems too bright and light is wasted.

At 1200mm Focal length that could be

[budget solution]

25mm HR-Planetary

9mm UWA

achromatic Barlow 15€/13gbp giving you 48x, 96x, 133x, 266x

-Alternatively 20mm+15mm+Barlow

[balanced solution]

30-40mm Erfle-Design 2" eyepiece (large exit pupil only advisable under dark conditions)

20mm, 15mm and/or 10mm, 6mm UWA

[better solution]

Hyperionoverwiew eyepieces

Perhaps some HR Planetary instead to keep the cost down, they perform well, too.

...of course there are even better eyepieces, Nagler, Speers-Whaler, and so on, but it really depends on what you are willing to spend. The mentioned eyepieces all perform better then the cheap kit eyepieces and are much nicer to use then Plössl, especially under 9mm due to eye relieve. Plus the wide angle views are stunning.

Check out the telescope simulation / eyepiece simulation in Stellarium (ctrl+o, alt+o) or on http://sternfreunde-muenster.de/orechner.php (german but easy to use) to narrow down what magnifications you want.

Other accessories:

-Exchange the stock finder scope with a telrad or rigel quickfinder,

-and get deepsky maps with telrad circles. Much more fun then those cheap magnification finders, and if conditions are bad you can still star-hop via overview eyepiece.

-Dim-able red light

-(perhaps Grey filter or blue etc. for bright moon)

-A UHC-Filter can be very nice to enhance contrast on different deepsky objects.

-Warm clothing :-)

eBay earch term for UWA eyepieces:

(uwa,66,ultra wide) mm (eyepiece,eye-piece,eye piece,okular)

-buy it now offers

-international

-sort price, lowest first

and for planetary eyepieces:

(58,planetary,tmb,hr) mm (eyepiece,eye-piece,eye piece,okular) -plossl -adapter -watcher -skywatcher

Archived