Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

explore scientific prototypes

Just got back from ias and was having a chat with a guy from es in Germany. After a bit of a talk he showed me a couple of prototypes. one was a brand new 5.5 100 degree which was awesome. It's serial number was number 1. He also showed me a proof of concept for their helical 2" coma corrector. He said the price would be around 299 euros when it passes beta. Last thing was a packable dob which collapses right down into the rocker box. got some pictures I'll post later

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds interesting graham. i cant imagine 100 degree e/p's . i know they exist already but all the same. i bet people who have been in this hobby sinse say the 60's or 70's have seen massive developments in that time. its getting to the stage where 68/70.even 82 degree e/p's are becoming standard .

I do like the sound of that coma corrector, hopefully it will be in time for next years budget as I have just about done this years.

..£2270 into my budget..and more to come :icon_pale:

..£2270 into my budget..and more to come icon_pale.gif

Ha, yes...icon_pale.gif I did that a couple of years ago.. :laugh: ''it just don't stop do it'' but I try to be wise and sort of plan stuff a bit, well, mostly.. If I hadn't have had some gear earlier in the year I would have had that 16" mirror you posted a heads up for.. Oh and erm I would also like.............................................

I have been awaiting the ES Coma Corrector for ages. Its been talked about a lot and seen at shows but no news as to when it will get here. I will be in the queue for sure for that.

If its good its going to dent TV I would think. I wonder if they will provide guide settings for their own EPs like TV does with its Paracor.

It had a measurement embedded in the thread, you can see it in the picture. This could be used to mark the best distance for the eyepiece. It didn't have an easy way of locking the CC in place though. I think it'd need something for that.

Son I am waiting for the ES one is like the Paracor its tunable, mst of the others arent excpet by adding tuning rings/extension pieces and thats too much headache in a dark field. Might be ok for AP folk but no use to an observer who is swapping EPs.

Son I am waiting for the ES one is like the Paracor its tunable, mst of the others arent excpet by adding tuning rings/extension pieces and thats too much headache in a dark field. Might be ok for AP folk but no use to an observer who is swapping EPs.

No! The best way is to ensure it is set up before you go out in the field then you do not even have to bother with a turntable. You do not have to be ultra precise and if your eyepieces are near parfocal, then the spacing for one will work with all the others. After all, without a CC you live with 100% of the coma. A slight error in spacing will reduce the correction, but not by much (the designer of the Astro-Tech/Altair Astro/GSO says the spots look good at +/-10mm).

It seems to me that this is an area where Tele Vue have actually damaged the market by complicating matters unnecessarily...

• 4 months later...

the 5.5mm is very interesting and it has been on ES website for sometime as available soon.Very tempted to give up the whole range of my meades and swap out for ES 100 deg range as the price of equals from tv`s i find a bit of a day light robbery lol.I understand it is top of the range EP,but it is a lot of money too at the end. Resist.....resist...

I am sure the paracorr will be given a bit of a visual upgrade before it hits the shelves,but I do like the concept. Televue watch out,ES is coming!!!!!! :)

I have to agree with Chris on this one.

I have the GSO/Altair CC and once spaced to suit the average of your longest FL EPs, you just leave it in the focuser and drop the shorter FL EPs (which are less prone to coma anyway) in it without fuss. Tuning is a complete non issue, unless you've got a really disparate set of EPs, because they're really not kidding about +/-10mm being close enough.

It should also be noted that ES are NOT billing the ES CC as tunable, but as including a helical focuser.

Russell

Like Russ and Chris, I see v little point in spending that much. I am outside now just looking at the double cluster and basically panning about with a 27mm pan and 18 radian and 12mm delos. I am using the SW standard CC. Works perfectly in all eps. Acts as .9 reducer as well which gives you a slightly faster scope, but with a wider fov, ie adding a few mm to your ep focal length. Actually damn handy for things like the double cluster.

Archived