Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie here (with caveat)

dragonlord

Hi everyone,

Very new to astronomy as it seems are most of the people in that post on this board, however my wife has a degree in astrophysics. So we're now both looking to start getting into astronomy as a hobby, and have been looking around at easy to access resources.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a recent newbie from the same neck of the woods as you. I found the various pinned articles under Beginners > Getting Started General Help and Advice very useful. There's also an Essex group under Community > Social Groups (the Essex Cloud Dodgers) which is a mine of useful local information.

Alan

We are currently planning on buying a telescope at some point in the near future (there's an astrological event going on september - november that my wife wants to be able to see). But we're not going to make any decisions about them until we've been to a meeting or 2 and chatted to established astronomers about what's changed in the field of telescopes since she passed her degree 20 years ago.

We're currently planning on turning up to the Loughton Astronomical Society.

Thanks for pointing out the Essex Cloud Dodgers

Hello Mr and Mrs Dragonlord :smiley:

A warm welcome to the SGL Forums.

May I ask the meaning of Cavet in your thread title. I've not heard of it, not even in the field of Astrophysics.

If you meant to put Caveat, then I can fix the spelling it for you.

If there is such a word as Cavet, then please accept my apology, I know it's easy to inadvertently misspell something,

and although you have a short time to correct a spelling error within the body of your post, you will not be able to correct one in the title.

Anyway, I hope you both enjoy your stay here, and all the help you need is available to you if you need any.

Best Wishes. :icon_salut:

Ron.,

We are currently planning on buying a telescope at some point in the near future (there's an astrological event going on september - november that my wife wants to be able to see). But we're not going to make any decisions about them until we've been to a meeting or 2 and chatted to established astronomers about what's changed in the field of telescopes since she passed her degree 20 years ago.

That's a great idea, and sadly many newcomers will just buy a random telescope on ebay and THEN seek help.

Even if reading into the matter many underestimate the weight and size of the telescopes :-)

Travel telescopes are a nice way to get out of town to avoid light pollution or take along on a trip.

It's amazing what type of telescopes are available these days, and how cheaply you can get a big aperture the size of your average observatory telescope :-)

Archived