Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello From Cambridgeshire

dreamer111

Hiya all at SGL, not new to astronomy (aprox 5yrs) but new to the forum.

Have come across this forum numerous times in my search for answers to my (numerous) questions, so thought it about time to join the community.

Have never found a hobby so compulsive and interesting (and as long as the Mrs isn't reading.. so expensive) !!

Started off by going to an astronomy course at a local college with a neighbour and rushing out and buying the first scope that "looked" good on ebay and taking my first images with a webcam that I had lying around, and getting totally hooked. Still went through the process (as probably many others have) of buying equipment that I could afford at the time and not saving up for the equipment that did the job properly, we live and learn!

A few years ago I converted the attic and that's where I've stayed. Main upgrades now are usually timesaving, as my job gets me up at 4am, so setup time is as little as possible.

post-30327-0-85694100-1368695099_thumb.j

post-30327-0-94201900-1368695655_thumb.j

post-30327-0-91751400-1368695700_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the SGL.

A very interesting arrangement you have there. My lack of outside space has left me wondering about a hatch out of the roof like you have. Do find the thermal currents rising from the house impacts the seeing and imaging? Or is the house really well insulated?

Clear skies,

Welcome to the SGL.

A very interesting arrangement you have there. My lack of outside space has left me wondering about a hatch out of the roof like you have. Do find the thermal currents rising from the house impacts the seeing and imaging? Or is the house really well insulated?

Clear skies,

Hiya, have read about people saying about rising thermals but have never noticed any. The window is very large and there is a door to the attic which is closed, so when the window is open the room cools down very quickly. I've also read about thermals off the tiles but I've never seen any. I do always use a Dew Shield which has fans built in, not sure if this might have something to do with it; but then saying that my APO hasn't got fans and I've seen no evedence it using that either.

Hi Dreamer and welcome to SGL, that is a question that I also was going to ask about thermals of the roof and also problems with vibration perhaps, nice cosy set up though :)

Hiya glowjet

Vibration "can" be a problem, it all depends if you feel the need for walking around in the attic once you're running.

When setting up its a problem because you are standing close to the scope and when you sit down at the computer things have moved slightly, but not a lot. So when sitting down I just resync and your ready to go. If I want to go to the loo or something I generaly just wait till I'm taking a dark.

The only thing I would have done differently would have to put the window in one side of the room and have the computer on the other (instead of in the middle) as the telescope would then have been on rafters further away.

But to answer your question - no problem unless you want to walk around at the same time.

(if I'm doing long exposures I sometimes go downstairs and watch TV anyway!)

Hi there - also from Cambs.

I'm new to all this but looking at your attic has given me ideas (I mean what's the point of all that space not being used......) :smiley:

That's a pretty awesome looking setup you have there

Archived