Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I went into this thing called a shop....

The other day, I had to go to a meeting in Doncaster, and come home to Cumbria via Clitheroe. I started feeling a bit tired around Wakefield Ikea, so I turned off the motorway, drove a bit and parked up. Bless my soul if I hadn't parked right next to Green Witch's Birstall shop. I thought I'd pop in seeing as I was there, and perhaps treat myself to a bird peanut butter feeder. About an hour later, I'd accomplished that, and also seemed to have acquired a 35mm Panoptic and 6mm Delos.

I found it really interesting, as I'd never been in an astronomy shop before; I've always bought online. I think it did me the world of good, and probably saved me from many wrong purchases over the years to come. There were scopes set up which I've thought about in the past - a Celestron CPC 800, a 12" Skywatcher goto Dob, the Meade LX80 mount....I couldn't believe the size of these things! Even something which I'd always assumed relatively compact, like an Advanced VX Mount....I'd never want to set one of those up on an evening. You see, I neither have membership of an astronomy club, nor friends, so I've never really got to try any of this stuff out.

There's a lot to be said for shops.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The internet is a brilliant source of knowledge and the ability to shop online.

Shame the high street shops have to suffer.

I agree.......Wish there were more astro shops in which you could walk into.

Its a pity theres not more dedicated astro retailers on the high street,the Internet has revolutionized the way most people shop and in a way has made prices more competitive but you cant beat walking into a shop and having a good old nose about :smiley:

Its a pity theres not more dedicated astro retailers on the high street,the Internet has revolutionized the way most people shop and in a way has made prices more competitive but you cant beat walking into a shop and having a good old nose about :smiley:

..and you don't get that "shop smell"on the web..

I used to love popping into Telescope House in Farringdon Road, London when Broadhurst Clarkson & Fuller were there. This was back in the 1990's. Their shop was full of gear like I'd never seen before and the folks who worked there where happy to chat with no hard sell. Dudley Fuller was there from time to time as well and always had an interesting angle on scopes.

I can recall drooling over a 7" Meade aprochromat which towered over me and had a price tag that seemed like my 1st mortgage and some great looking 16" and 18" dobsonians made in the USA I think.

I did usually leave with something small like an eyepiece or a filter. In those days they seemed happy to take part exchanges and offer a decent PX price.

Seeing stuff for real is very valuable if you can.

Sadly its a long trip and an expensive ferry for me to find a shop, though I do think I might be tempted to pop in to First Light once the new show room is fully stocked and I have some loose change begging to be spent.

Also, and very much in favour of shops you could pop a ronchi grating in your pocket and have a look/test the optics before buying - although I doubt many astro shops would have more than one of any model on display. On a bit of a tangent, I have brought a lot of guitars over the years and I've never brought one without having a good play first - fortunately I know a couple of really good guitar shop owners who have at least humoured me while I plonked away on most of the stock - its quite surprising how much variation you get find even from the established names with modern manufacturing and QC.

Locally, we only have "Pound shops", "Cash for Gold"... (teeth)? :D

Warning signs re. shoplifting - Assistants following you around...

Even online (electronics!) firms add "handling" charges on orders.

Glad I'm (theoretically) near the end of buying astro related stuff. :p

I went to astrofest a couple of years ago before I bought my mount and scope. I was very pleased I did as it gave me an idea of the size of things which is always helpful. In my younger days with astronomy I had a few .965 eyepieces. When I approached the televue store my first thoughts were 'what are these' I could not believe how big they were.

I can recall drooling over a 7" Meade aprochromat which towered over me

Was that the 178ED? Think it was an f/9. Bit of a monster - I have nostalgic memories of seeing one in the states ages ago, mid-late 90s, it was huge.

I was in Green Witch the other week and I had the SWMBO with me and it was the best idea ever. I had sort of made an appointment with Lee so after looking at the 12" Skywatcher GOTO, bought one.

Honesty on this occasion was the best policy and having the high street shop on the doorstep (well 40 miles driving is more or less on the doorstep :grin: ) means the decision is binding. hehe :cool:

Was that the 178ED? Think it was an f/9. Bit of a monster - I have nostalgic memories of seeing one in the states ages ago, mid-late 90s, it was huge.

Yes, that was the one Ben :smiley:

The big Meade ED's (the old doublets not the new triplets) have had mixed reviews over the years but I reckon a good one would be a scope to be treasured.

You would probably have to spend as much again on a suitable mount though !

Archived