Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Next EP?

Qualia

I've spotted second hand a range of EPs and trying to decide if I go for a:

13mm Nagler T6, or 16mm Nagler T5 or 19mm or 24mm Panoptic.

I can only afford one of them and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions which might be more useful in my 10" f/5. I already have a 10mm Delos, 5, 6, 7, 9 BGOs to cover high power, a 15mm TVP and 25mm Tal Plossl.

In my head, the 16mm, 19mm or 24mm would be used as a general finder EP (I only want one Low Power EP) and to observe Open Clusters. The 13mm would be used for DSOs when conditions or the object itself required a little less power than the 10mm.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. At the moment I find myself finding an object in the 25mm and jumping straight to the 10mm. So, any suggestions would be a big hand. If you were in my shoes, what would be your next EP range?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It it were me, I'd definitely add a good wide field EP to the collection of at least 24mm at some point. That said, as the 11 and 14mm EPs are the most used in my collection (11mm in the frac, 14mm in the Dob) and your scope is somewhere inbetween thos focal lengths, I'd have the 13mm first.

Russell

Well I have the 16mm T5 nagler........never gets used. Nowt wrong with it. Super sharp little fella that packs a huge punch for such a little eyepiece. I just don't need it in my 10" Dob. I usually go straight from my 20mm T5 to my 12mm T4.

TBH I only use it in my 2x Powermate for globs.

I would go with the 24mm pan if I were you. This gives pretty much the same field as my 20mm T5. Great low power FOV it'll be in your focuser an awful lot.

The 16mm Nagler covers 1.033 deg in the sky, the 24mm Panoptic 1.285 deg. Both have the edge over your current 25mm (1.023 deg FOV): the panoptic for sheer FOV, the Nagler because of darker backgrounds. A 13mm Nagler would be a very good all-round DSO hunter (similar to my 22 Nagler), whereas the 16mm is closer to my 31T5 (also an awesome EP, very much used). Ultimately, for a real wide-field EP, the 24 Panoptic would be a stop-gap until you got yourself a 2" EP, like a 30-31mm 82 deg EP (no you cannot have my Panzerfaust 31T5 ;) ), or even a 24-26mm 82deg (the 26T5 is superb too), whereas the 13mm Nagler would be a keeper.

A word of warning: I do not know if you wear glasses when observing, but if so, the 13T6 has a rather uncomfortably short eye relief for those with glasses (fine for those without), the 16T5 is worse (10mm vs 12 for the 13T6). The T4 Naglers are much better, as are the 26T5 (16mm) and 31T5 (19mm). The Panoptic is also just about OK for glass wearers (15mm).

F5 in a 10" is what, 1250mm focal length?

Honestly my choice would be the 24mm Pan if you are limited to that choice range. If you were not limited to that range, or TV as a brand, then I'd get a 24mm ES 82. I love open clusters though and can spend ours looking through a 24mm wide view (and have done).

I think I'd be hanging on and saving for the 17.3mm Delos if I was in your shoes :smiley:

Once I tried an Ethos I knew it would only be a matter of time before my T6's Naglers were replaced :rolleyes2:

Johns point is a very strong one for the 17.3mm though I do not have one, I do as you know have a few Delos's though and they are all as good as it gets. I also have a 16mm Nagler and that too is a very fine eyepiece which I am sure you would be happy. I have had the 13mm Nagler and this is also excellent but I feel it's a bit too close to the 10mm Delos in terms of focal length. If FOV is not the main consideration then like John I think I would save and get the Delos.

I think the one thing that can be said is we both like spending other peoples money, 17.3mm for me, but if the price is right the 16mm will not let you down.

I also have a 24mm Meade UWA that is looking for a new home if you can wait until I get back.

Alan

Alan

8 astronomers, 8 different answers. Anyone else? :p

It's like asking what loudspeaker should I buy. Everybody is right, nobody is wrong, but only you can decide what's right for you and then at some point, you'll buy the other one anyway, probably earlier than you thought.

Later, you'll sell one of them, regret it and buy another one further down the line. This will lead to self doubt, when it doesn't live up to your memory of the original.

Then you'll buy something to replace it, change scopes, wonder if another previous eyepiece can deliver what your replacement for the replacement is no longer delivering. So, you buy something different.

In the end, the only correct answer is thank heavens for Internet classifieds! :)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

personally I agree with John to some extent - 17mm Delos would be great. BUT my first choice with your scope would be the 20mm Nagler already mentioned by Steve. a little more expensive but would be superb. next would be 24mm Panoptic.

Perhaps a little expensive, but how about the 17E or 21E? Both give very wide TFOV (~1.36 with 73.5x and ~1.68 with 59.5x). A lot to consider though, moving to a 100 degree eyepiece.

personally I agree with John to some extent - 17mm Delos would be great. BUT my first choice with your scope would be the 20mm Nagler already mentioned by Steve. a little more expensive but would be superb. next would be 24mm Panoptic.

I'd choose the 24mm Panoptic. I used to have a collection of Televue eyepieces and used them mostly with a 10" Dobsonian. The one I still miss today is the 24mm Panoptic. But eyepiece choice is subjective and my preferences are old school. I prefer eyepieces that focus all the available light in a field of view I can comfortably see without tilting my neck to peer into the edges. And I like eyepieces that are small and light enough to fit into my coat pockets.

HTH,

Steve

Thank you all for your kind comments and thoughts. Weighing up the responses, it looks like each type including the Delos gets the same voting, so I feel from your informed replies that this is one that needs to be thought through. The prices aren't really that bad secondhand (I imagine around £158 a piece), which was the main reason I thought I'd ask you chaps. Of course, there is a risk buying secondhand and the money consideration is very important - this will be a present from my girlfriend, so in a kind of loving way, it has to be a 'keeper' - but if I have to save more (i.e, for the Delos) that really isn't an issue. I'll just sit it out. What is important is that I get this right and quiet any second-thoughts. It is mainly for this reason that my heart and mind is set on Tele Vue, for I feel I with this make I will be able to achieve that quiet-of-mind.

Once again, thank you all for your kind help and attention.

Thank you all for your kind comments and thoughts. Weighing up the responses, it looks like each type including the Delos gets the same voting, so I feel from your informed replies that this is one that needs to be thought through. The prices aren't really that bad secondhand (I imagine around £158 a piece), which was the main reason I thought I'd ask you chaps. Of course, there is a risk buying secondhand and the money consideration is very important - this will be a present from my girlfriend, so in a kind of loving way, it has to be a 'keeper' - but if I have to save more (i.e, for the Delos) that really isn't an issue. I'll just sit it out. What is important is that I get this right and quiet any second-thoughts. It is mainly for this reason that my heart and mind is set on Tele Vue, for I feel I with this make I will be able to achieve that quiet-of-mind.

Once again, thank you all for your kind help and attention.

What about Pentax?

I've spotted second hand a range of EPs and trying to decide if I go for a:

I can only afford one of them and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions which might be more useful in my 10" f/5. I already have a 10mm Delos, 5, 6, 7, 9 BGOs to cover high power, a 15mm TVP and 25mm Tal Plossl.

In my head, the 16mm, 19mm or 24mm would be used as a general finder EP (I only want one Low Power EP) and to observe Open Clusters. The 13mm would be used for DSOs when conditions or the object itself required a little less power than the 10mm.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. At the moment I find myself finding an object in the 25mm and jumping straight to the 10mm. So, any suggestions would be a big hand. If you were in my shoes, what would be your next EP range?

No it doesn't. She will have absolutely no idea if she is looking through the EP she 'bought' you, or the ones that replaced it. ;)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

What about Pentax?

I think if I lived in the UK the Pentax's at FLO would have been my number one stop, but curiously out here the XWs are pricier than, say, something like a Delos. Moreover, you don't really see Pentaxes cropping up half as much as the TVs on the secondhand market.

Qualia, I think the Panoptic has a Lot (with a capital L) going for it. I have heard SO many people say that of all the things they have sold the 24mm Pan is the most regretted loss. Additionally, I have NEVER heard of someone that didn't like it.

It's unique in that it's the largest true field you can get in a 1.25" barrel at the same time as having a decent apparent field. Unlike the 24mm Hyperion, for example, it is small, and is sharp to the edges in an f/5 scope. All this makes for an ideal finder eyepiece. Since you say that you always jump from the 25mm to the Delos, the 24mm Pan would make an obvious choice.

Take with a pinch of salt though - I have never even looked throuh one! I have had 19mm Panoptic(s) though, which were certainly delicious...

Andrew

Archived