Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Bubble Nebula

Chris

Hi,

The Bubble nebula is still very low down in the haze but I couldn't resist letting my new setup loose on it last night:)

I had to throw about half my subs out so this is just 25 minutes worth of 80 second luminance subs taken with the Mammut mono CCD on the Skywatcher 150pds. Stacked in DSS and processed in Paint Shop Pro. No darks or flats. CCD cooled to -3C.

I'm very much liking the combo of reasonably fast Newt with a mono CCD, although I'm aware that I'm perhaps in the minority in liking the odd diffraction spike or 5 biggrin.png

Thanks for looking:)

Chris

post-16129-0-35215200-1367517387_thumb.p

Nice image Chris - I love the Bubble nebula but all my time on it last year was spent shaking the gremlins out of my kit so I don't have much to show for it...

The focus looks a tiny bit soft maybe? Possibly the seeing rather than the focus itself just because it was so low?

hi chris are you running a coma corrector in this?

No Dan, theres definately some coma showing as you can probably see so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a SW 0.9 CC.

Nice image Chris - I love the Bubble nebula but all my time on it last year was spent shaking the gremlins out of my kit so I don't have much to show for it...

The focus looks a tiny bit soft maybe? Possibly the seeing rather than the focus itself just because it was so low?

Its a great object isn't it, I probably need some more luminance before I get any RGB with this one. I don't think the low alt helped with focus as the HFD was juming around all over the place so in the end I had to settle for a rough mean average figure for focus. I'm fairly sure the collimation is good as a defocused star gave a perfect doughnut so I don't think thats to blame, does look a touch soft but on the other hand the image scale is quite large with such a small chipped CCD which might not help.

Thats come out well Chris, is that a cropped version.

Cheers Ultranova :) only a very slight crop to tidy the stacking, I'm using a very small chipped entry level CCD which has an array of 752 x 582 pixels @ 8.4 um so small chip and chunky pixels :D

Hi Chris,

Nice to see someone using the Mammut as an imager rather than a guider. Great shot under the circumstances.

As you rightly said, just add more subs at a later dat to bring more detail. That's the huge benefit of digital imaging & grat software.

cheers

Steve

Hi Chris,

Nice to see someone using the Mammut as an imager rather than a guider. Great shot under the circumstances.

As you rightly said, just add more subs at a later dat to bring more detail. That's the huge benefit of digital imaging & grat software.

cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve:) I'm loving it as an imaging camera so I bet it kicks bottom as a guider!

Yes Chris it is ultra sensitive. I purchased it to use on an oag for my Tal 200K but I am having spacing issues with my focal reducer/imaging setup.

The only way to test it is by imaging, but I use my clear nights for imaging not testing, so it's on the back burner for now.

cheers

steve

Archived