Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's in the finder??

Even now I struggle sometimes to know exactly where to go when finding tricky new objects such as the minefield of galaxies around Virgo and Coma.

I thought about how I could reconcile what I was seeing in my RACI finder with what I was seeing on the map. Most finders are 5 degrees field so I decided that out of black card I'd cut a circular hole to scale and made one for each star map I own and use. I laminated them for longevity.

This little addition makes a world of difference when finding your way across an unfamiliar patch of sky. I'd recommend them to anyone. Here's some pics to show you what I mean. You can of course also have a hole for any wide eyepieces you have to show e.g. 3 degrees.

post-5119-0-84604400-1367360916_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-10088300-1367360942_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-65278400-1367360964_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-05842300-1367360991_thumb.jp

This is an amazing idea, Shane and it drives into what I was spouting about a week ago or so. Now, I know this sounds really dumb, but how do you draw that 5º cirlce? How did you work out its size relative to the maps you own? Any insight would be a really big help.

This is an amazing idea, Shane and it drives into what I was spouting about a week ago or so. Now, I know this sounds really dumb, but how do you draw that 5º cirlce? How did you work out its size relative to the maps you own? Any insight would be a really big help.

I'd get the dimension from the scale on the map/chart you're intending to use . . . .

Absolutely Steve. I chose a page close to the celestial equator (i.e. where the dec degree is 0) as the lines are straight then and it's accurate enough then. the diameter of the circle is 5 degrees. I used a compass cutter like this one (there are cheaper ones) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olfa-Compass-Cutter-cutting-circles/dp/B000BK7NWC for the circles - very useful tool! recommended by Olly on another thread.

A neat idea!!

I found that my local plumbing merchant has a wide selection of black rubber "O" rings.

After referring to the scales on my star maps I aquired the correct sizes and added a small handling tag which I labeled accordingly.

Seems to work quite well for me - and I can see the adjacent stars as well.

Yep! I use one of those circle templates. Having a laminated atlas, I then draw my star hops directly onto the map with a china graph pencil. These can be wiped off at the conclusion of the night.

• 4 months later...

Funny, I knocked up something similar a couple of weeks ago from one of those self adhesive credit card wallets. I traced the telerad circles from the cover of the Sky and Telescope pocket atlas with a permanent marker. Also made a reminder note about different eyepieces, field of view, magnification, etc..

post-28380-0-36144000-1378147029_thumb.j

I am so glad that your brought this topic up. Many beginners like myself struggled with star hopping. Last year, the learning curve flattened out for me when I made my finders FOV circle with the template scale on the 1st page of the chart I use, "Pocket Sky Atlas". I made mine out cutting out the bottom of a clear plastic water bottle. Since I started using this finders FOV circle, I can star hopping to any object I attempt to find. The following is a link to an article from "Sky & Telescope" magazine about this very topic.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/visualobserving/3304221.html

Archived