Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question on Dobsonians

I'm a new enthusiasts and have been researching telescope types. I'm leaning toward a Dobsonian for my first purchase. Question: what do you do if at a location where the ground is unlevel?? I love the simplicity of the Dob base but I just know that I wil be using it in a variety of locations and can't always control this factor.

thanks for any help.

Gary

Usually.......don't even worry about it. Out of level isn't a problem. In fact if viewing near the zenith (directly overhead) it can actually help. Normally viewing the zenith with a Dob is tricky (we call this area "the Dob hole"), we even alter our set up deliberately tipping our Dob slightly out of level if we wish to observe in this area. As long as the scope base is near enough as to not be in danger of tipping up, it'll be fine.

Uneven ground isn't usually a problem either as a Dob base has three feet (like a mini tripod). A bit of turning it about normaly soon finds an area that'll work for us. Some fit levelling feet, I've never bothered. I've used my scope in more different locations than I care to remember.

John Dobson designed it as the ultimate portable scope IMO he achieved exactly that.

dobs are awesome. none of that levelling faff. I have found that with a lazy susan mod, depending on the nose weight of the scope and the tilt of the ground (my garden undulates quite alot) you can get a little bit of gravity induced swing but this certainly isnt an issue for an unmodified base or one set with tension to account for it. I like mine loose that's all.

Saying that, I get the same thing on an AZ4 mount too. I like the Azimuth quite loose.

Dobs are great, pick it up, carry it out side, put it on the ground, point it at object, look at object. Simples.

my goto eq mount, 2 sessions attempting to get the blasted thing to align, much swearing, much frustration, no observing actually done. Very un simples. Will get there eventually though, hopefully.

Yes uneven ground is not a problem,though if you were thinking of a goto dob i think it is essential that your dob base is level.

A dob is no hassle you can even move it around the garden and not have to worry about anything.

Hey Gary,

I have had my dob for about a year now. It is the only scope I have ever owned. You get a lot of value for the $. It is powerful, and portable, and easy to setup. The only issue I have had with mine, is that the two fittings that connect the scope to the mount have loosened a few times. When this happens there is suddenly some "play" with the scope. Which makes it very difficult to observe with. When this happens I need to remove the primary mirror from the tube, and retighten the nuts and bolts inside the tube securing the fittings. Sounds more complicated than it is, but I was really worried the first time I did this thinking I was going to break something. Since the last time this occurred, I have removed the scope from the mount between viewings. I am not sure if this will resolve my issue, because viewing conditions here have been terrible the last few weeks. Anyway, despite this small issue, I hardily endorse acquiring a dobsonian mounted scope. Also, buy "Turn Left at Orion" at the same time you buy the scope. There is no better guide for a new enthusiast than this book IMO

Yes uneven ground is not a problem,though if you were thinking of a goto dob i think it is essential that your dob base is level.

Not sure that's correct these days. With my "push to" it doesn't need to be level because a two star alignment allows for any unevenness. I suspect most goto's are the same now. :smiley:

As everyone says, dobs are great.

Whilst not essential, a relatively firm mat is useful. It might assist to protect a particle board / wooden dobsonian base from damp (or mud) rising from the ground and may help to level off any rutted ground if setting up say on a grassy area. I also find it handy in case something small such as an eyepiece cap, focuser screw or eyepiece (heaven forbid) should drop - easier to locate, absorbs the impact and helps to prevent contamination from grit / mud etc. I take a square off-cut of cushioned kitchen lino, which is easily rolled up for transport.

If you use a manual setting circle, then levelling is important, but if you are navigating by eye, then it isn't.

i made a 3 legged levelling base out of some old bits of wood and some left over levelling feet off an ikea wardrobe. Works a charm

Archived