Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Cheshire/Wirral/Flintshire

JamesOfThinking

Hello there,

I'm James and I'm based pretty much in close reach of West Cheshire, South Wirral and Flintshire. But official I am Cheshire based.

I have been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember altough recently I have become more active within the area. Last summer I picked up a tiny 3" Mini Dobsonian scope for £50 and utilised it to begin to learn the skies and discover. Since my hungar for better viewing has increased to the point of breaking yesterday when I decided to head to Stockport and pick up a Skywatcher Skyline 200p, quite the upgrade! Despite my Garden being surrounded by other houses/garages/trees I had a spectacular first night with it...

I took it into the garden at around 8.30 to begin to get used to such a stunning and powerful piece of equitment. Luckily it was a clear night. I caught Jupiter early on including some faint detail on it's surface plus four of it's moons. Later on after a short break I locked on to both the Double Cluster and the Behive in supreme detail compared to the old 3" as you would imagine. Just before packing in Saturn had risen to a perfect point through the trees and I caught it at about 00.03 I even managed a quick photo on my phone through the lense.

You can check out my first picture of Saturn here and I plan to snap plenty more images and get a little camera set up going in the near future.

I read many threads on here about the skyline and the comments really influenced by decision so thanks!

Looking forward to getting involved and chatting to you all.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James welcome to the lounge, nice choice of scope,

sounds and looks like you enjoyed yourself, lot's of advice

and links here in the Stargazers Lounge.

Enjoy and Clear Sky's

Thanks all! Feeling very welcomed indeed. Semi clear skies here tonight, out earlier seeking out Jupiter and it's moons. Having a break for a few hours and then I'll go out again for a short while! If any of you have any tips or tricks for the dob 200p I'd be very greatful of the hints!

Here's to clear skies. :smiley:

Archived