Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virgo Cluster

Looking around Leo and the area last night just as the clouds rolled in. It was amazing to see all those galaxies, although i only managed knowingly at least, to pick out 5.

Its definately an area that im going to have to go back to next time im out and there isnt a wind capable of chopping you in half. Are there any good guides to show the cluster, all i have at the moment is a Telrad map, but theres that many in that area i dont know which im looking at!

The Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas by Roger Sinnott is pretty good, chart 45, there is then a close up chart of it at the back of the book, but you will still find it difficult to identify them without regular constant viewing. I usually start with finding M87, the largest elliptical galaxy as my start point, but to be honest, it is mesmerizing to say the least.

There was a good map in Sky at Night magazine last month on the Virgo cluster. I usually start at Vindemiatrix (epsilon virginis) as I can pick this out with the RDF and then the finder scope. From here I can pretty much hop from one end of the cluster to the other with a widefield eyepiece (usually my Revelation 32mm plossl) and zoom in with a higher power ep when I choose.

I think the 2 main stars to start from are 6 Commae and Rho Virginis. Had a hoot last night sweeping around from there (blumming cold by the end though). Would've stayed all night but probably died from hypothermia! Have used Cartes du Ciel Telrad maps to plan hops from one end of the chain to the other, as well as going further out to see M49, 61 etc. Weather due to turn next week so make the most of it..............

I was observing this area a few nights ago just to see how many galaxys i could see,i started from Rho and using the Pocket Sky Atlas i got up to 22 ending at M91,i was hoping to continue the following night but conditions wer'nt as good,but it was interesting just sweeping this part of the sky.

If you are gonna star hop, a good way to start is from Epsilon Virginis (Vindemiatrix) and move West towards a Y shaped asterism around Rho Virginis. M60 is just to the North and is one of the brighter galaxies in the area.

M59 and M58 will follow to the Northwest.

NGC 4567 and NGC 4568 (the Siamese twins) are close by.

M87 is on the same trajectory as M58 is from M60 and perhaps the brightest of the bunch.

From there, if you can get to M84 and M86, you may well be able to see a number of other in Mankarian's Chain. These incluse NGC 4435 and NGC 4438 (the Eyes), NGC 4461, NGC 4473 and NGC 4477 (both just over the Coma Berenices border).

Happy hunting!

I find entering the cluster from Denebola was more natural.

As Robin says using chart C in S&T PSA is a very good way to do this area. I hit it for the first time last night and got a clean sweep of the Messiers and the majority of the NGCs in the cluster using just this page.

I think the cluster in Ursa Major will have to be taken on next :)

I find entering the cluster from Denebola was more natural.

As Robin says using chart C in S&T PSA is a very good way to do this area. I hit it for the first time last night and got a clean sweep of the Messiers and the majority of the NGCs in the cluster using just this page.

I think the cluster in Ursa Major will have to be taken on next :)

Can you please tell me what constitutes the Ursa Major cluster.

Is it the area which includes M109, 94 and 106 or does it extend further up to Dubhe?

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I also tend to start from Denebola, and work from there. Initially i would just drift through the region and enjoy the sight of up to 8 galaxies in a single FOV. Later I started working through the region more methodically. The Sky Atlas 2000.0 has a special map of the Virgo cluster which I consult regularly. So far I have bagged 95 galaxies in Virgo and 29 in Coma Berenices. I still like just drifting along Markarian's Chain and similar bits

This is an area that I too lke to drift through, initially using a low power (35mm) wide field ep. Whilst I am usually trying to seek out particular galaxies that I would then aim to observe at high power, I do get a bit lost and disorientated in the field, there are just so many in one view. It gives me a flash point memory of childhood, collecting tadpoles in a jam jar and looking at them through the top. At least the galaxies dont swim around, well not to my eyes.

only one seen after 40mins viewing a few nights back , once again the mixture of light pollution and perhaps high thin cloud is giving me poor results ! heres hoping for some better transparency in the near future .

im hoping my next scope(18" or 20") should take care of most of them and maybe a few of the abell galaxy clusters too

more yes, most no. it's 'impossible' to see all of them but with a big enough scope (30"+) I expect you will discover and name a few potentially. aperture allows you to see the bright ones better but basically you end up chasing increasingly small and obscure ones.

Long shot perhaps but any of these visible in a 5 inch scope? I guess M87 would be due to its sheer size?

i believe all the brighter ones would be achievable ,which includes the messiers . ive read alot of reports from people with 4-5" scopes .

as i have learnt though,the darker the skies the better your view,so if you can get away to an edge of town site away from some light pollution ,you'll increase your odds.

however , they wont look like the images you see in books ect.

heres my recent view of m65/66 in leo from my light polluted town .

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=89917

Archived